Talk

Advanced search

Help Should I cancel my gastroenterologist appointment for coeliac disease?

(3 Posts)
Petrajayne26 Wed 06-Nov-19 15:38:35

My blood test results were positive for coeliac disease my doctor told me to go gluten free. Since removing gluten and junk/processed food from my diet I have been so much better I am gaining weight back that I lost. I'm not having upset stomach I have been gluten free for a month. Less anxious and more energetic however the problem is I have now been referred for gastroenterologist appointment and my doctor failed to mention that i should carry on eating gluten until after I have had the appointment. I can't face eating gluten again. The thought of it makes me anxious. I don't want to go back to having upset stomach every morning and I don't want to lose weight again. should I cancel this appointment? Has anyone started a gluten free diet before getting a gastroenterologist appointment? I don't want to waste my time and husband's time driving me to hospital if the biopsy is not going to get done because of me being gluten free.

OP’s posts: |
GrandmaSharksDentures Wed 06-Nov-19 15:41:16

No advice but just to say that my mum is in the same boat as you. She has never been formally diagnosed with Coeliac disease as she can't face making herself ill by eating gluten just to be told something that both her & her GP are 99.9% sure of anyway. Good luck

Jouska Wed 06-Nov-19 19:29:25

I would go to your appointment and discuss it with your consultant. They should understand your reticence to go back on gluten.

You may need a bone scan and dietician appointment and other help. DO keep the appointment.

if they have a positive blood test (if the reading was high that may be enough to confirm) they can also take a new blood test and check calcium, vit d levels etc that can be low in a coeliac.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »