DH in Hospital with Pleural Effusion and I’m Terrified

(8 Posts)
NaviSprite Tue 05-Nov-19 18:39:52

He’s been unwell for a long while now, he was diagnosed with Pericarditis 11 months ago, given 600mg Ibruprofen and basically sent on his way. The doctor did say to go back after 6 months if there had been no improvement and to go back immediately if they got any worse...

During this time we moved to a new area and he didn’t make any rush to get in to see our new GP (or to even register!) because he said the pain was manageable, I tried to get him to go but he wasn’t hearing it until about 3 weeks ago.

He got a chest infection/cold so his pericardial pain became a lot worse, then came a horrible non-productive cough and constant breathlessness. It took him until yesterday morning to finally decide to go to A&E to checked over as I had been pushing for since the new symptoms (breathlessness, cough etc.) began. They took him for a CT scan and noticed a very large build up of fluid in one of his lungs.

The doctors told us there are many things that can cause this - and my logical brain is trying to keep me calm with the fact that he had a chest infection recently, but DH has been a smoker for 14+ years, he’s cut down a lot and has been well on his way to quitting (which he started working towards since I gave birth to our twins in 2017). I just keep hearing one word that the specialist was concerned with echo in my head and I’m trying my damndest to not be a complete wreck in front of our DC at home whilst he’s stuck at hospital.

I’m terrified it might be lung cancer, he is too but he won’t say it. I know people often lean towards the worst case scenario in situations like this and I’m trying not to become obsessive, but it’s taking so long for the hospital to do the tap drain (I understand how busy they are - NHS hospital) and we’ve had no real information back from the blood tests they have already taken. I just feel I’m going a bit crazy sat at home with our lovely DC and my mind is going into overdrive on worst case scenarios.

Sorry this is a stream of conciousness, I don’t have anybody IRL to talk to other than DH really and I am doing my best to keep it together when I see him.

I’m not sure what anybody can advise here, but some company whilst we await a diagnosis would be nice if possible.

Thank you for reading my ramble (I didn’t sleep much last night so I really am rather scrambled at the moment).

He went into hospital early hours Monday morning, last night I really noticed the lack of his presence in the house - I don’t know if I can cope again tonight after my DC have gone to bed for the night sad

OP’s posts: |
Broom19 Tue 05-Nov-19 19:05:10

Sounds like a really worrying and stressful time for you. Sending a hand hold.

Try not to think the worse... easier said than done, I know. I have no medical expertise at all, but wouldn't a 'mass' have shown up on the scan if it was cancer, rather than fluid?

I smoked for many years and one of the reasons I wanted to give up was because it caused me so much health anxiety. Hopefully, this will encourage your DH to quit once he is out of hospital.

Hopefully someone else will come along soon with some more helpful advice. Stay strong OP thanks

NaviSprite Tue 05-Nov-19 19:15:24

Thank you, they initially said there were no signifiers on the CT scan that pointed to cancer - but when DH was transferred to a specialist unit at another nearby hospital (in the early hours of this morning) they said that if the cancer was present it might be difficult to see through the effusion sad

My logical brain (as I dub the sensible voice in my head that’s trying to stay in control against my emotional brain - aka the voice in my head that’s panicking!) keeps saying they can’t say it’s 100% not something until they’ve done the relevant testing so that’s why the specialist had to raise it, because no testing of the fluid has occurred yet.

I’m at least sitting watching fireworks with my DC through our living room window which is a nice distraction, it’s a little past their bedtime but I’m hoping they won’t be too cross if I keep them up a bit later than usual today smile

OP’s posts: |
MollyHuaCha Tue 05-Nov-19 22:52:39

Hand to hold here. A worrying time for you. Look after yourself. thankscakebrew

LuluJakey1 Wed 06-Nov-19 01:04:36

I hope tomorrow brings some good news that calms your fears. A number of things can cause pleural effusions and the vast majority are readily treatable and not life-threatening. I really hope this is the case for you both- you must be worried sick tonight.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 06-Nov-19 17:52:09

How are you OP?

NaviSprite Fri 20-Dec-19 20:22:09

Sorry it's been a while, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster and we're still none the wiser to the cause of DH's Plueral Effusion but yesterday we got the final confirmation that it is most definitely not Cancer.

It doesn't take away the worry about what is happening altogether, but it's some good news this side of Christmas.

He has a Multi Discipline Team handling his case and had the effusion completely drained two weeks ago, he is starting to perk up a bit now in health and within himself so I just wanted to thank you lovely people for offering your words of comfort, I switched off mentally from it which isn't healthy - but - whilst the MDT are stumped as to the cause of the effusion and DH still has a few tests to endure, I am so glad that we have been given the clear for the big C.

Thank you again x

OP’s posts: |


teentree Fri 20-Dec-19 20:25:22

I didn't see this when it was first posted but so pleased that your DH has the cancer all clear. Just in time for Christmas. Hopefully now he is under the multi team they will get to the bottom of things for him soon.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in