Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone currently in, or had treatment for PTSD?

(5 Posts)
Quootiepie Fri 17-Aug-07 20:20:19

I have just recently started (after a huge wait) treatment for PTSD and it's been 6 sessions now and we haven't really touched upon anything much yet as she says I am not ready. Just wondered if anyone has had treatment for it, and how they found it - did it 'work', what did you do etc. She has hinted at a few things we will aim for - visiting different places etc but hasn't gone into too much detail for fear of having me not turn up again! Next week we are trying 'safeplace' (?) work which I am not totally sure what it is. She also tried EMDR (might be a different way round, the eye movement thingy) which did not work. Has anyone had that? Any tips on "making" it work? Anything I can practice etc? It's quite hard because I don't really have any support or anyone to talk to about all this ... good ol' mumsnet again
Thanks for reading, hope I sort of make sense I am abit tired
x

imaginaryfriend Fri 17-Aug-07 22:34:57

What kind of trauma are you over-coming Quootiepie? If you don't mind me asking that is. I haven't had treatment for PTSD but I know quite a lot about it from work.

Nemo2007 Fri 17-Aug-07 22:36:47

I had psychological intervention for PTSD anxiety and depression. It seems to help if I keep going but whenever I stop I seem to relapse[currently having a relapse]. In total I was seeing someone for over 18mths and have just been refered back again by cpn!!

Quootiepie Sat 18-Aug-07 06:42:21

I am ok trying it - I have before on MN - it's mainly after having a termination and going through things with her she says I have had loads of traumas - my ex mainly (he was very abusive). She said something about trauma being experienced in 3 different ways and I suffer badly in all 3 areas. I can't go into it in much detail, I can't even say what I have typed out so I very much in the early stages of treatment. Nemo - did you do eye movement thingy (?!) or safe place? It's all I really know about my treatment so far x O, I am having it for anxiety and depression aswell.

Nemo2007 Sat 18-Aug-07 09:08:56

They tried to do the safe place grounding stuff which only worked when with her to be honest but then I had a thing about letting the feelings come when at home as I felt it contaiminated my sanctuary if that makes sense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now