Talk

Advanced search

Walk in centre or GP - what's quicker?

(10 Posts)
Hannah2199 Mon 04-Nov-19 06:28:50

I've been suffering from symptoms of a UTI all night - burning pain, frequent need for the toilet, tummy ache etc. I've also got 3 small children to look after today. Its Monday morning - am I better off getting a GP appointment for today or going to the walk in centre? Either way I dont want to be waiting hours at walk in, or at home (in the bathroom) with 3 kids. I've noone who can help with childcare. What do I do? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BikeRunSki Mon 04-Nov-19 06:30:56

Can you get a phone appt with your GP?

Snaleandthewhail Mon 04-Nov-19 06:31:41

My local walk in centre doesn’t have prescribing facilities during the day (I think, it’s been a while), so I’d try the gp first

Tableclothing Mon 04-Nov-19 06:33:54

Do you need to see a GP for that?
I would start with ibuprofen/paracetamol for the pain and get cystitis medicine from the supermarket.

Tableclothing Mon 04-Nov-19 06:34:37

Pharmacy visit is another option if you don't have underlying health issues.

Russell19 Mon 04-Nov-19 06:37:12

Medication from pharmacy seems best

ChateauneufDuTwat Mon 04-Nov-19 06:41:33

I work in a GPs. We don't do appointments for ?UTIs. Patients drop off a sample to surgery, nurses dip test and get prescription done for antibs if required. All in same day.

Maybe ring your docs and see if they do similar?

AmIThough Mon 04-Nov-19 06:59:01

Phone your GP as soon as soon as they open. Ask for a same day appointment.

If they can't offer one, call 111 and they'll book you an appointment at the walk in centre.

Silvercatowner Mon 04-Nov-19 07:08:43

I work in a GPs. We don't do appointments for ?UTIs. Patients drop off a sample to surgery, nurses dip test and get prescription done for antibs if required. All in same day.

Same at my surgery. Great service.

Hannah2199 Mon 04-Nov-19 07:30:07

Thanks all. Previously was told to go to GP and get antibiotics bit that was when I was pregnant so perhaps its different now I'll call them

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in