Talk

Advanced search

Emphasima in my family

(4 Posts)
HedgeHogFoxBadger Sat 02-Nov-19 21:23:00

Hi everyone.
Beginning of the year my nan was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, she was given a month to live, she is still with us now though.
My uncle (her son) passed away 5 years ago with emphasima and copd. My other uncle (her son) passed away in July with lung cancer and emphasima, he had only been diagnosed 5 weeks prior. My mum was advised to have a chest X-ray and she told me last night she has mild emphasima.
I just feel scared. I’m scared when the time comes for my nan and now my mum

OP’s posts: |
KamikazeIdiot Sun 03-Nov-19 10:24:56

There is an hereditary condition called alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency that causes emphysema, but this is usually apparent from earlier in life. COPD (combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema) is caused by smoking a n the great majority of cases, although there are genetic factors that make some people more susceptible. Does/did your grandmother smoke? Did she ever work in an environment where she would be exposed to airborne dust or particles (cotton milling, ceramics, etc.)?

KamikazeIdiot Sun 03-Nov-19 10:26:20

Sorry: "in the great majority...", of course. I hate typing on tablets.

BeyondMyWits Sun 03-Nov-19 10:32:58

My grandad had emphysema - for 40 years. Tends to be referred to under the umbrella of COPD nowadays.

Early diagnosis when it is mild means a much better outcome, with longer life expectancy - treatment with inhalers, steroids when needed, keeping an eye on any wheeziness/chest infections etc. There is a ton of information out there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »