Talk

Advanced search

Knee problems - can anyone give advice please?

(12 Posts)
WhatIsWrongWithIt Sat 02-Nov-19 19:22:45

Hi there,

Ive been doing C25K for 6 weeks, had a knee problem so rested a day extra and it was fine. Havent ran for over a week due to half-term and being lazy.
So I woke up this morning and the front of my knee is quite painful and just feels like it needs to be pulled back all the time iyswim. The pain covers the whole of my knee from about 2 inches below to about the same above, but centred mainly under the kneecap.
Has anyone had similar and knows what it is and what to do?
TIA

OP’s posts: |
Dafuk Sat 02-Nov-19 19:31:32

I’m not an expert and not a runner but it sounds like the beginnings of a possible cartilage tear. When you say it feels like your knee needs to be pulled back all the time do you mean it feels unstable? Did it go from feeling normal over this last week when you’ve not been running to suddenly feeling painful and a bit odd today? If so that sounds like possible cartilage wear and tear.

I’d keep resting it as much as possible (definitely don’t try run on it) and see your GP. Sounds like you need a scan to see what’s going on exactly. I’d not be fobbed off with being sent for physio which seems to be the first line of action these days. If it is cartilage it may be that it needs tidying up or repairing depending on what the problem is.

WhatIsWrongWithIt Sat 02-Nov-19 19:57:38

When you say it feels like your knee needs to be pulled back all the time do you mean it feels unstable? Did it go from feeling normal over this last week when you’ve not been running to suddenly feeling painful and a bit odd today?

Yes to both! Sitting with it straight makes it feel really unnatural. Very odd. Will check out cartilage damage.
Thanks @Dafuk smile

KellyHall Sat 02-Nov-19 20:06:25

I had an old ligament injury which meant my knee cap tracking was slightly off, causing cartilage tearing where my knee cap rubbed the end of my femur.

It was excruciating and sounded just like your symptoms. I got referred to a physio who gave me exercises which sorted it. I was determined to avoid surgery, which was my only other option if I hadn't been so regimented with the physio exercises.

Dafuk Sat 02-Nov-19 20:06:57

Have a google of cartilage problem symptoms and in the meantime try protect your knee joint as much as possible and don’t try straighten it out completely.

A knee support might help with the feeling of wibbliness and keep the joint more stable while you are in the process of getting diagnosed and treatment. My DB went from pain and weirdness to the cartilage suddenly tearing and then needing repair surgery so I’d get it seen ASAP in case you can prevent any further problems. I hope you get sorted soon. Knee pain is awful.

Dafuk Sat 02-Nov-19 20:09:58

Something like this might be helpful while you are waiting to get it checked.

WhatIsWrongWithIt Sat 02-Nov-19 20:17:51

It is just weird that it was fine yesterday, has been all week, then suddenly today hard to walk on. Was yours out of the blue @KellyHall or did it slowly get worse?

WhatIsWrongWithIt Sat 02-Nov-19 20:19:34

Thanks @Dafuk that looks better than the Savers £1.99 one Im using grin will order one of them

Dafuk Sat 02-Nov-19 22:46:29

My DBs went from ok one moment to being completely unable to walk on it the next but that was quite an extensive tear. My other DBs just got more painful over time as I remember. They both had surgery as did my late DF. I’m the only one other than late DM who hasn’t had cartilage problems ( so far). I hope you soon get sorted and the support helps in the meantime. Good luck .

WhatIsWrongWithIt Sat 02-Nov-19 23:19:32

Me too, thanks again @Dafuk x

KellyHall Sat 02-Nov-19 23:57:42

It came and went but the bad times got progressively worse until my leg collapsed under me and I couldn't put any weight on it for a good few hours. That was the final push that made me see a doctor.

WhatIsWrongWithIt Sun 03-Nov-19 15:11:17

Oh @KellyHall that sounds awful! Glad it got sorted

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in