Talk

Advanced search

Still uncomfortable two days after colonoscopy

(11 Posts)
missyB1 Wed 30-Oct-19 16:13:33

So had my colonoscopy on Monday. It was technically difficult apparently because of my narrow pelvis and tricky bowel. I felt ok after the procedure but yesterday and today I have quite a tender tummy. I feel bloated and haven’t been able to eat much. I do occasionally get IBS and the pain is similar to what I’m feeling now. I’m guessing maybe the bowel prep and the stress of the colonoscopy itself might have triggered a bout of IBS?
Anyone else taken a few days to recover from colonoscopy?

OP’s posts: |
mrsed1987 Wed 30-Oct-19 21:30:43

yes i deffo took a few days for things to be a bit more normal again

missyB1 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:46:27

Thanks it’s been three days now and I feel a bit better this morning, hopefully no tummy pain today!

pinksoda35 Thu 31-Oct-19 09:00:24

I remember having really bad stomach pains after my Colonoscopy.
I can't remember how long they lasted..a day or two I think!

Egghead68 Thu 31-Oct-19 18:01:51

It took me a week to recover. I think there was some internal bruising.

missyB1 Thu 31-Oct-19 18:11:43

Yes it does feel as though my insides are bruised! And I keep bloating up even after the smallest meal. Oh well the test was all clear so I suppose that’s the main thing!

Egghead68 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:43:31

I think the bowel prep is also pretty harsh. Give it a while and everything should settle down.

unfathomablefathoms Fri 01-Nov-19 20:37:23

During a colonoscopy they pump carbon dioxide into your colon to inflate it so they can get a better look, so that can leave you feeling uncomfortable as you describe for a few days while it works its way out of your system.

I don't know why they don't explain this to people so they're prepared and don't worry! (Informed consent aside hmm).

missyB1 Sat 02-Nov-19 09:00:10

Well it’s 5 days later now and I’m finally feeling better! I honestly didn’t think it would take this long. Oh well I’m not intending on ever repeating the experience grin

unfathomablefathoms Sat 02-Nov-19 12:20:40

You mean it's not on your Christmas list?! shock

missyB1 Sat 02-Nov-19 16:17:45

Ha Ha the bowel prep certainly isn’t! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »