Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

i do not cope well with drips and IV's

(17 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Thu 16-Aug-07 21:36:37

yet again today i came over all funny when in Peters room. its the IV lines in. This has happened before, and i hate it. i feel all faint and sick when i see them. help me.

it started when he was first dx with his heart condition, and i came in one morning and his IV line was leaking into the bandage. i called his nurse in and she removed the bandage and the needle had actually come loose and was coming out and all bent on his hand. i almost fainted and had to go stick my head out of the window in case i threw up. since then i have struggled with lines etc.

not good considering how many he has in atm.

Kbear Thu 16-Aug-07 21:43:06

yep, I know what you mean. When I had the DCs and a later op and had that thing in my hand I couldn't look at it, made me feel faint.

Not particularly helpful for you to feel like this in the current circs eh misdee!! How is the old man tonight anyway?

LadyVictoriaOfCake Thu 16-Aug-07 21:52:55

he is ok

i can do injections ok, can deal with that. but IV's and blood draws, no way.

maybe i should've dealt with this before lol. but had forgotton how bad they make me feel.

Kbear Thu 16-Aug-07 21:56:41

Hopefully you won't have to encounter too many more in the future.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 17:50:51

well i did better today, and didnt need to sir down due to feeling faint quite as much. hopefully soon i can tune them out.

onlyWotz Fri 17-Aug-07 18:13:10

Oh I do feel for you, I am the same, was not good when dd1 was in hospital and I had to be brave for her.

She had pins in her arm too and that made me feel odd to say the least.

Not sure what to suggest other than to distance yourself in thought (as you say tune them out) as much as you can.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 20:01:18

i'm hoping they wil lstart removing some of them soon. atm there is so many its like spaghetti junction.

i know they have to be there, and am grateful for everything thats being done and obviously want to see him very vry much.

but i need to stop the queseyness really.

any ideas?

Bubble99 Fri 17-Aug-07 20:03:14

Is he still in ITU, misdee? Or has he been moved to the HDU, yet?

meandmy Fri 17-Aug-07 20:06:46

just think of soon he will be free from all those wires,lines etc and that is what you should remember when you see them!

tissy Fri 17-Aug-07 20:06:57

if it's any help, they're not actually needles! The bit that sits in a vein is a fine plastic tube, quite soft and flexible. You have to use a nedle to insert them, but then throw it away when the job's done.

How about asking a nurse to show you an unused one? As soon as the needle is out, they're quite safe!

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 20:07:19

still in ITU and isolation. just been told balloon pump has gone which is good but that wasnt visable.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 20:08:15

no tissy, that makes me feel ill still

it was seeing that bit all bent out of his skin and lifting it up on his hand that did it, was horrible.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 20:08:47

i know meandmy, and keep telling myself that, but i cant help the way io feel.

Bubble99 Fri 17-Aug-07 20:10:19

He's really making progress now, isn't he?

Bubble99 Fri 17-Aug-07 20:12:32

Has his heart 'loosened up' now? I read some of your posts/blog where you'd said that he'd needed some drugs to help with that?

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 17-Aug-07 20:19:09

as far as i know yes, it all seems to going swimmingly now. the pump is out which was like a mini lvad, so am assuming heart isnt as stiff and is working well. surgeons said output was very good reading so all looking ok now.

bubble, seeing his chest rise and fall, and the normal beating on his chest was amazing. after seeing a mechanicial 'jolt' for the last two years seeing a normal chest moving was like a miracle. really really amazing.

startouchedtrinity Fri 17-Aug-07 20:28:38

Wow...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: