Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Sorry , its me again.....would it be annoying if I rang to speak to my GP again?

(11 Posts)
SlightlyMadSpider Thu 16-Aug-07 13:27:02

Short version of story

DD3 has oral herpes. Have seen GP 3 times this week already primarily with concerns over dehydration due to lake of drinking/eating. I have called hime once.

She is a million times better today, BUT she has obviously passed the virus to her thumb. I feel it is too trivial to take her to see him, but want to be sure the only thing I can do is wait for it to heal on its own.

I really really don't want her to pass the virus back to her mouth.

Do I ring
Do I make an appointment
Do I leave it and hope it goes away

RubySlippers Thu 16-Aug-07 13:27:34

go the pharmacist??
they can be really helpful

SlightlyMadSpider Thu 16-Aug-07 13:43:54

I could do. She is only 16m though so I don't know if she is too young for zovirax whcih would be all I could do over the counter.

AngharadGoldenhand Thu 16-Aug-07 13:45:03

Make an appointment with the GP.

RubySlippers Thu 16-Aug-07 13:45:17

children under 2 can't use zovirax
i would give your GP a call

Egg Thu 16-Aug-07 13:45:29

I can ring my surgery and ask for a telephone appt for a doc to call me, rather than having to go in if it is something you can explain over the phone. Can you do this? Not sure if all surgeries have this option but worth a try.

Glad she is feeling better today though .

Sidge Thu 16-Aug-07 13:45:47

Phone the GP. They are usually quite happy to speak to you and it will save you dragging down there.

FlameBatfink Thu 16-Aug-07 13:47:37


ledodgy Thu 16-Aug-07 13:47:55

I'd definately ring the Gp tbh if it's on her thumb then it will probably need some kind of cover/patch as there is a risk she may pass it to her eye if she rubs it which is a definate no no. Speak to the doc and see what he/she says.

GreatAuntieWurly Thu 16-Aug-07 13:48:37

I would call the surgery and explain.

SlightlyMadSpider Fri 17-Aug-07 11:22:29

Have been to see GP. She definately has a bacterial infection in her thumb (a manky bit from sucking) - so has antibiotics for that. He is not sure whether the blisters on her tumb (around the manky bit) are part of the bacterial infection or transfer of herpes from mouth so we have acyclovir for that just in case.

<he said he saw her on the list for the 4th time in a week and was worried, but pleasantly surprised that it was just a manky thumb >

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: