Talk

Advanced search

Lumbar Puncture

(4 Posts)
QAQA Wed 23-Oct-19 14:38:37

My neurologist wants to do a lumbar puncture.
I've currently said no as firstly I hate needles, secondly I have damage to my lower spine and thirdly I've previously had a blood clot. The thought alone scares me and makes me feel sick.

Has anyone had a lumbar puncture, experiences good and bad please.

OP’s posts: |
PurpleFrames Wed 23-Oct-19 20:39:30

If they suggest it I would take their advice. It's a serious thing so they won't offer you it for nothing.

I've had one and felt nothing during it as I had anaesthetic locally and some sedatives. They didn't discharge me from hospital until I had a #1 and #2. Spent a few days in bed after recovering. Not pleasant but not the worst thing I've ever had.

Most importantly you don't see the needle they use!

Curlysurprise Thu 24-Oct-19 09:17:53

I would echo PurpleFrames. Had to have a few. Different Drs.
The Drs are very skilled at doing it, and with a local, and rest afterwards, it truly wasn’t a big deal.
I would have it done as your neurologist wouldn’t be suggesting it if it wasn’t important - I am assuming NHS here so no £benefit to Dr.

ChilledBee Thu 24-Oct-19 09:19:10

I've had one. It was uncomfortable but my anxiety likely made it worse than it is. What it wasnt like is what you saw on Doc Martin last night. I definitely knew it was happening!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »