Advanced search


(11 Posts)
JadeQ97 Wed 23-Oct-19 14:20:25

Has anyone ever been tested for dyspraxia as an adult , do you just go to the drs and ask to be tested , what happens ect?

OP’s posts: |
LazyDaisey Wed 23-Oct-19 14:24:57

I haven’t but I can tell you based on a children’s diagnosis that it’s fuck all. The place that diagnoses you doesn’t have the funding to treat you. In theory, you should have physical and occupational therapy to strengthen whatever weakness they’ve identified.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 23-Oct-19 14:29:41

My son (7) has suspected dyspraxia. The NHS website say that it's for the NHS to diagnose. Our NHS trust say they don't diagnose dys- conditions anymore and the school can't afford to either.
Private is the only way to go round here. Which we can't afford.

JadeQ97 Wed 23-Oct-19 14:31:07

Where abouts are you from as I'm in Kent , would it I have to go private here also?

OP’s posts: |
AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 23-Oct-19 14:41:09

I'm in North Essex. You'd have to the GP to ask the question, but unless it's having a massive impact on your day to day life, then I wouldn't expect much. sad

LazyDaisey Thu 24-Oct-19 11:34:31

Annoyed, the school senco can refer the child to ITACC, who diagnose it. I mistakenly thought ITACC provide therapy 🙄

“Dyspraxia or co-ordination problems in Primary school children - 50 sessions of BEAM and 6 weeks of Clever Hands and Fingers to be initially undertaken at school. If concerns persist then refer to the Integrated Therapy and Care Coordination Service (ITACC)”

LazyDaisey Thu 24-Oct-19 11:38:35

Jade, as an adult, you’d need to book appt with your GP and ask to be referred. Wait for referral appointment is 18 weeks for kids, not sure for adults. With children, the paediatric referrals can also be done by education professionals.

RandomMess Thu 24-Oct-19 12:37:57

DD has

RandomMess Thu 24-Oct-19 13:49:16

I paid for DD to have an SPLD assessment once she was 16. She is dyspraxic which is explains her poor processing skills throughout school and ill eligible handwriting.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 24-Oct-19 16:31:45

Thanks @LazyDaisey I'll look into that.

Babysharkdoodoodood Thu 24-Oct-19 16:43:33

I got referred. Turned up to appt and consultant said. Sorry we don't diagnose adults. You have to go private angry

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in