Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there anything I can do to make my 8 mo more "regular"?

(13 Posts)
margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Tue 14-Aug-07 23:46:47

She's pooing every 4 days, the last dirty nappy was on Friday.

I went to the HV today and they've said that it seems okay. DD2 is healthy and lively and is not losing weight.

(TMI I know) Her poo is not dry or hard.

I have tried just giving her fruit and veg. (She normally has weetabix in the morning)

I have increased her water. Given her prune water. Given her prunes.

Anyone elses baby had this habit?

WideWebWitch Tue 14-Aug-07 23:47:38

Really don't worry about it at this age. AS long as she's not dehydrated you shouldn't worry

Easywriter Tue 14-Aug-07 23:49:17

Everybody is different. This may just be how her bowel movements go.

Or are you really worried about this and feel that the HV has got it wrong (even if it's just a hunch, you spend the most time with her so imo your opinion has the most gravity)?

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Tue 14-Aug-07 23:54:27

Thank you - I think it's reassurance I need (and maybe a gas mask for windy moments)

WanderingTrolley Tue 14-Aug-07 23:56:18

Blimey, I agree with a HV.

If she seems well, she doesn't seem constipated and she's eating well, she's probably fine.

I'd lay off the prunes and prune juice though. You'll need more than a noo noo when that nappy arrives.

KerryMumbledore Tue 14-Aug-07 23:58:44

Something you might try is adding Evening Primrose Oil or another essential fatty acid (EFA) to her diet. EPO is tasteless and can be added to whatever she drinks.

kutilputil Wed 15-Aug-07 00:26:59

please dont worry!its all normal, as long as she is happy and healthy then she is fine.my ds has a poo every morning and this has been since he was about 7 months and he is now 20 months. i make sure he eats lots of fruits, water and a good breakfast, usually something dense and high in fibre like porridge or weetabix.you are doing almost the same it seems and yet your dd is going less often...well we are all different after all.so...dont worry, you're doing a fab job.one advice i would give is to feed her good, fresh and nourishing home cooked food and steer away from ready meals and processed food.good luck

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 15-Aug-07 00:36:20

kutilputil - I am giving her fresh foods, I am trying this newish approach. I don't know if any Mnetters have heard of it, it's called blw

Kerry - I will try to give EFA.

Many thanks for reassurance and suggestions.

kutilputil Wed 15-Aug-07 00:39:09

hiya, whats blw?

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 15-Aug-07 01:02:25

Sorry KP- I was trying to be funny (it never works).

BLW is baby led weaning. It's where you introduce finger food to babies instead of spoon feeding. Aitch (who is a prolific poster on MN) is an advocate of this method and has set up a blog which has provided many a mum with tips on this method.

KerryMumbledore Wed 15-Aug-07 11:38:24

Had another thought. Does she eat a lot of meat and\or poultry? Or has she been on abs lately or a lot in the past?

He tummy flora might be disturbed a bit. Try a probiotic for children. You can find in most health food stores. Or if she doesn't have any allergies you can try giving her the probiotic yoghurt drinks.

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Wed 15-Aug-07 16:04:07

she's had the occasional piece of salmon, chicken and beef (although I haven't mashed it so she probably hasn't had much.)

no antibiotics

I will try a probiotic after the EPO to see which one works

vole3 Wed 15-Aug-07 17:16:18

Orange juice, either given to her diluted or drunk by you in quantity if you're still bf, may have some effect.

As long as her poo is of the right consistency and she doesn't appear distressed when passing it, it is probably just her natural rhythm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now