Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

have you used a homeopath to help with a hormone imabalance?

(22 Posts)
pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 18:49:16

I am considering going to a homeopath (providing I can find a reputable one that doesn't charge too much money) to help sort out a hormonal imabalance that I seem to have had for the last 5 years or so, basically since dd was born. I breastfed for 3.5 yrs and have since been trying different contraceptive pills - now the patch. My symptoms are v.heavy periods,often v.painful sometimes spotting, acne, tiredness and my hair has started falling out again. A scan showed I have v.small fibroids, but nothing serious. GP just says these things can take years to sort out
Life has been fairly stressful recently too (dh has had two lots of major surgery this year & I also have a quite stressful job)Don't know if this has anything to do with it? My wieght is creaping up too- don't think pill etc helps with this.
Can anyone advise??? Would be soooo grateful if so. Am fed up of living like this, it is miserable. Have you seen a homeopath/herbalist etc and it helped?

ladylush Tue 14-Aug-07 18:52:39

Not a homeopath but I am seeing a reflexologist to address hormone inbalance following a d&c after missed miscarriage. Reflexology is very good for this and I would thoroughly recommend it. My hormones are back in sync and only 4 sessions after the op I got my menstrual cycle back on track.

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 19:00:37

Thanks ladylush - I hadn'thought of reflexology, something else to think about perhaps.

orangina Tue 14-Aug-07 19:07:06

I saw an acupuncturist a few years ago, initially to help me deal with some massive stress I was getting at work, but at the same time, he sorted out a few hormonal imbalances as well (cycle a bit short, periods a bit light)... it took him about 6 weeks of weekly acupuncture and some chinese herbs as well, and I really noticed the difference. WOuld highly recommend. Can't advise on the homeopathy I'm afraid....

sweetboy Tue 14-Aug-07 19:08:15

Or acupuncture if you can handle needles...really good results i think & meant to be relaxing too.

sweetboy Tue 14-Aug-07 19:08:45

X post!

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 19:16:48

actually I've been wondering about an acupuncturist too, a friend of a colleague practices - if you don't mind my asking is it very expensive? I do want to sort this out but don't have a lot of spare cash.....

puffylovett Tue 14-Aug-07 19:19:21

hi, homeopathy can be brilliant for fibroids if you see a good homeopath, and it works really nicely in conjunction with reflexology.

you could also try agnus castus and 600mg magnesium a day to help rid your body of excess oestrogen, also high strength gla to help balance the hormonal system - all work v nicely with homeopathy and reflex. I've seen lots of ladies get rid of these types of symptoms over the last couple of yrs.. best of luck !

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 19:24:37

aha thank you, would I get these from a health food shop? Or is it best to see an actual homeopath? How long would you think it would take for results, or is that too difficult to say?

FrayedKnot Tue 14-Aug-07 19:25:37

I had acupuncture in the past when I was ttc trhough IVF, had just had a m/c, and felt I needed some help to get things back on track.

I have never had regular periods and for the period of time I had acupuncture, I had preiods as regulalr as clockwork. As soon as I stopped (it was so expensive, I couldn;t afford to continue), they wetn haywire again.

So I can highly recommend it.

Anotehr thought, have you had your thyroid tested? Some of your symptoms sound typical for an underactive thyroid.

The acne etc could be polycystic ovaries? I presume they have checked for that if you have been daignosed with fibroids?

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 19:34:55

I hadn't thought of the thyroid thing, but I did have a blood test, which I presume would have shown any problems??
V.interesting re acupuncture (shame about expense must have been rotten to find something that works and not be able to keep it going)
Thank you for your answers everyone.

FrayedKnot Tue 14-Aug-07 19:38:04

Thyroid function is a specific blood test and would not be picked up on a simple full blood count type test, so I would check whether or not you have been tested.

Tiredness, hair falling out and weight gain are classic symptoms, as are menstrual irregularities.

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 19:40:40

Perhaps I should get this checked too - thank you.

puffylovett Tue 14-Aug-07 19:45:28

also get them to check your T4 levels, they only usually check for 1 hormone but if that shows up no prob, they tell you you are fine & sometimes it can be the T4 to T3 conversion that's the problem. Also the tests are generic and the same for everyone, which could mean you are borderline, so in GP eyes you are fine but in yours it could be causing a real issue. the thyroid does get put under a lot of pressure with pregnancy.

def see homeopath for that ! good luck

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 20:00:50

thanks all. Think I will pursue this a bit further.

oneplusone Tue 14-Aug-07 20:05:01

Your post could have been mine, I have been through very similar and I have recently starting seeing a medical herbalist.

I've only been taking her potions for around 10 days but already I've noticed an uplift in my mood, I should've had really bad pmt this month but have hardly had any, I don't feel so tired, and just generally feel better in myself.

She also advised to me take some excercise which I have been doing. I would definately recommend her at the moment, I will have to wait and see how things pan out in the long term.

hth

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 20:11:25

Thanks oneplusone. Glad to hear that it is working for you. How did you find out about your herbalist?

oneplusone Tue 14-Aug-07 20:13:09

I found her through my local health food shop which also has a complementary therapy clinic attached. It was a bit of pot luck as i would've rather have gone by a recommendation, but she seems fine.

pippo Tue 14-Aug-07 20:15:13

Thanks, will have to have a look in health food shop next time I go into town.

ladylush Wed 15-Aug-07 22:35:01

Pippo why not try a few things? I had decided to try acupuncture if the reflexology didn't work, but since it has worked beautifully there is no need. The tip on getting your thyroid checked is a good one.

aloha Wed 15-Aug-07 22:37:11

Have you had a blood test to test your thyroid function? I really think that should be your first priority. Also test for anaemia if you have heavy periods. In the meantime, sort out your diet. Low GI, plenty of fruit and veg, lots of sleep and a good multivitamin/mineral.

aloha Wed 15-Aug-07 22:38:23

I really think that tests for thyroid and anaemia should be done first. They are very easy and straightforward. If you have heavy periods you are almost certainly low on iron anyway and that alone will make you tired and affect your hair.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: