Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

IS IT OK TO DELAY IMMUNISATIONS BY A FEW WEEKS??

(12 Posts)
Snowi Tue 14-Aug-07 12:27:52

Hi Mummies,

DS due for his 3 month immunisation, phoned GP & due to the nurse being on holiday, they can only fit me in in 3 weeks, which means DS will be closer to 4 months!! Does this matter?

ruddynorah Tue 14-Aug-07 12:28:37

no it doesn't matter. dd was late with all hers.

magnolia1 Tue 14-Aug-07 12:29:50

Ds1 is 8 months and hasn't had his 4 month jabs His 2 months were delayed till 4 months, his 3 till 6 months and he will have his 4 months soon.

I prefer to have a big gap between.

snorkle Tue 14-Aug-07 12:50:16

The risk you take is that they might catch whatever it is that they are being immunised against in the intervening time. It's not a very big risk really.

thomcat Tue 14-Aug-07 12:51:22

Yes it's fine.

I delayed my DD's till I felt she was ready for them.

thomcat Tue 14-Aug-07 12:52:01

And if your baby was a bit poorly you wouldn't be able to have the jabs anyway. A 3 week delay is absolutley fine.

LadyTophamHatt Tue 14-Aug-07 12:52:40

ds4 didn't have any of his at the right age.

shhhh Tue 14-Aug-07 13:43:05

shouldn't be any problem...only result is that your ds won't be immunised therefor not fully protected iykwim...

DS was "missed" so never started the immunisation couse till he was over 8 weeks (I think...by then he should have been on the 2nd batch) BUT then due to ill health, coughs,colds etc he wasn't given the 3rd immunisations till he was 6 months old.!

TBH it was a concern for me as ds is due an operation (3rd one following birth) so I wanted him to have been immunised asap. hth x

gess Tue 14-Aug-07 13:45:08

It's fine- they used to start later and spread out longer anyway. They're always fiddling with the schedule.

PSCMUM Tue 14-Aug-07 13:58:37

no totally doesn't matter., my baby was in hospital for the 1st 6 months of her life and no one knew what was wrong, so we weren't allowed to give her any vaccines as they could not guarantee it would not harm her. So she didn't start any until she was 6 months and its ok. don't worry!

uptomyeyes Tue 14-Aug-07 14:06:14

DS3 is 15 months old and still hasn't had the third lot - whoops! GP practise have been onto me this week about it. DS's 1 and 2 didn't have their MMR until they were 5yo. I feel much happier giving them their jabs late when they are a bit bigger and physically more robust.

pagwatch Tue 14-Aug-07 14:10:40

my DS is 4 and hasn't had any at all. So the sky does not necessarily fall in...
A short delay will be fine. Don't forget you can have two babies the same age who have massively different weights and sizes. The schedule is designed around approximates.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: