Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My Aunty Jilly has vertigo and its getting worse. Does anyone else suffer with this?

(10 Posts)
saythatagain Mon 13-Aug-07 22:04:06

She is in her early 70's and its something she always had to put up with intermittently (sp?) but it appears to be getting worse and more frequent. Any advice/tips/remedies to ease it would be terrific. TIA

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Mon 13-Aug-07 22:15:55

Has she been to the doctors to check for Menieres disease? This is fluid in the inner ear that can cause vertigo - I've got it and I get attacks intermittently - could be that?

saythatagain Tue 14-Aug-07 09:08:01

I know she has been to the doctors about it but I've not heard her mention Menieres disease; I'll take a note of it and ask her. She spends a lot of time having to lay down. For someone who is an 'on the go person' its frustrating and of course, restricting.

forsale Tue 14-Aug-07 09:10:11

I was diagnosed with menieres disease about 20 years ago and go through stages of being quite dizzy or more off balance but usually this is when im tired.

themoon66 Tue 14-Aug-07 09:12:01

My mum gets this (she is 73) and it's getting worse. She is terrible to walk around the shops with and she has to hang onto me for fear of falling over.

She went to the doctors and was given some tablets, but I cannot recall what they are. She calls them 'my dizzy pills'.

Slubberdegullion Tue 14-Aug-07 09:23:25

Lots of different causes of dizziness, esp in the elderly. Best see Gp who may refer to a Geriatrician. Dizziness is a major cause of falls in the elderly (which can lead on to all sorts of further problems) , so my advice is for your Aunt to see a Dr. asap.

saythatagain Tue 14-Aug-07 10:08:32

I've just spoken to her. She has been to the doctors but he didn't prescribe anything or suggest tips to reduce it. Do you think it could be another one of the illnesses that you just have to put up/cope with?

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Tue 14-Aug-07 14:36:42

I would suggest she goes back to the doctor and mentions Meneires disease - see what he says. Or you could google it online and then give her a print out to take to the doctors with her. I've found so many doctors don't take things like this seriously so you need to be firm with them - especially where old people are concerened as they do tend to 'fob' them off imo

saythatagain Tue 14-Aug-07 15:23:03

I've done just that Jimmy!

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Tue 14-Aug-07 15:26:06

Vertigo is horrible...I remember the first time I had an attack due to the Menieres and I literally collapsed on the floor...thing is, because you look physcially fine, its not taken that seriously!

My doctor presecribed me Betahistine Hydrochloride for when I feel the vertigo builing up again - maybe worth mentioning that to your Auntie? Assuming its something like what I've got obv....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now