Talk

Advanced search

Do all pregnant women have a transvaginal ultrasound?

(31 Posts)
butterfly110 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:02:15

I live in the UK and I just wondered if every pregnant woman is given a transvaginal ultrasound at some point in their pregnancy.

OP’s posts: |
pikapikachu Mon 07-Oct-19 12:03:07

No. Only at very early stages where ultrasound wouldn't be clear

ktjerl Mon 07-Oct-19 12:03:19

I have had 2 pregnancies and never had this type of ultrasound.

hannah1992 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:04:12

Not as standard.

They usually do TV if you're very early in the pregnancy. 12 week and 20 week scans are abdominal.

With my first dd I went for an early scan due to bleeding. I was 6 weeks. They did abdominal and said it's what they would expect to see for around 6 weeks. Said they could do a TV to see if they could see more but was unlikely so I declined

BrexitBingoGenerator Mon 07-Oct-19 12:04:13

I’ve had two pregnancies and have never had one. I think they only offer you one for very early scans or for other specific reasons.

Kaddm Mon 07-Oct-19 12:04:28

No. Never had this with my 2

Caspianberg Mon 07-Oct-19 12:04:51

I had one at 7 weeks. Not the uk

ThorosOfMyr Mon 07-Oct-19 12:06:13

Well I did have one as a matter of routine with my second pregnancy. My 12 week scan was help at Kings College Hospital in London and they were doing a massive study into why some women went into preterm labour, so a transvaginal ultrasound was used as well as a traditional one. You could, of course, opt out of the study and not have one.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 07-Oct-19 12:06:38

No. I’ve had one in 3 of my 5 but that’s because I had bad sch that were bleeding very early on so an abdo u/s wouldn’t have been able to see anything.

Buddyelf Mon 07-Oct-19 12:06:48

2 pregnancies and 2 transvaginal scans but they were both because I had bleeding early on and they were early scans

ToastyFingers Mon 07-Oct-19 12:08:08

Have been pregnant three times and have never had one.

IamPickleRick Mon 07-Oct-19 12:10:26

Had this with 2/3. Only for problems though. First one was to confirm a heartbeat after a bleed before 14 weeks.
Second one was to date a pregnancy in absense of periods, (because it could potentially have been too early for a normal ultrasound)

RoLaren Mon 07-Oct-19 12:18:06

Once at 6 weeks due to bleeding. Abdominal since. UK.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Mon 07-Oct-19 12:18:33

Never had one. I know 1 person who had one at 12 weeks because they were told their BMI was too high to see the baby abdominally and I think our hospital are now offering them if you had an emcs at full dilation previously because that can be linked to preterm birth, however I wasn't offered one last year with dc2 despite that happening with dc1.

LittleAndOften Mon 07-Oct-19 12:20:30

Yes becsuse I have a tilted pelvis. I call it 'dildocam' grin

Aurorie11 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:24:37

I had them with pregnancies 1 and 3, which were both miscarriages

Kaykay06 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:26:27

4 babies never had one,
Bled throughout all so could be why never known anyone else who has had one either

ethelredonagoodday Mon 07-Oct-19 12:30:17

Only once in EPU.

Megan2018 Mon 07-Oct-19 12:33:02

I didn’t, I had about a billion scans from 10 wks and none were transvaginal

starfishmummy Mon 07-Oct-19 12:33:19

One with each pregnancy. First was due to a mmc and the second was due ro unexplained symptoms which were similar to those I'd had with the mmc

ImpeachTrump Mon 07-Oct-19 12:33:52

I've had several with every pregnancy but that was purely due to my history of pregnancy loss. I also had one later in one of my pregnancies to check the length of my cervix to assess my risk of going into preterm labour. Transvaginal ultrasounds are not routine in pregnancy though.

InsertFunnyUsername Mon 07-Oct-19 12:37:17

No I've never had one in both pregnancies.

hsegfiugseskufh Mon 07-Oct-19 12:41:42

nope not as standard.

I had bleeding at around 8 weeks so I had one then.

after that just normal abdominal scans.

(if you're worried about it for any reason, I can honestly tell you it is not that bad at all)

MindyStClaire Mon 07-Oct-19 12:43:46

None in first pregnancy, including 8 week private reassurance scan.

Three in second pregnancy to confirm miscarriage. Started with 9 week private reassurance scan but uterus was tilting backwards and she couldn't see anything so went for the TV. Then two more in the NHS the following week to confirm the miscarriage.

I'm terrible with internals but actually the scans were fine. Of the three, one was slightly uncomfortable and the others fine.

Skittlesandbeer Mon 07-Oct-19 12:50:20

Why do you ask OP. Are you OK?

Sounds like it might be done for pregnancies that flag for unusual issues? But extra testing is a positive thing, in the end I always think that knowledge is power.

If you have reason to worry, I’m sure the wonderful women of MN can give you more assurance?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »