Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
Dh has infection, 4 lots of abs not worked(21 Posts)
I'm worrying about sepsis, but my worries may be unfounded. He has not got it atm.
Infected sinus due to polyp, head full of infection, he's had 4 lots of abs, the last lot were apparently heavy duty, and did make a noticeable difference, but they're finished now and the intion's still there,he's in an increasing amt of pain and is still waiting on an op to deal with polyp and clean out sinus.
Can he develop sepsis from this type of infection?
Shd he go to a&e with it now? I'm thinking maybe put him on an IV drip.
Am I over-reacting?
It sounds like it needs draining? I wouldn’t have thought that that was something you can just sit around waiting for though?
Does sound like a hospital job if he’s had all those ABs & it’s not really any better. Hope he gets sorted.
When has he next got an appt with medical professional? Was he due to see someone after these ABs were finished?
It does need draining and they said they would do that when they do the op for the polyp, but even after nearly 9 months he still hasn't got an appt for it. The polyp is blocking his nostril almost completely now and he can only sleep for a couple of hours before he has to awken to clear his sinus or he can't breathe.
It's been a nightmare for most of this year.
The last gp he spoke to gave him this last course of abs and they did help quite a lot but haven't got rid of the infection, though they had a much better effect than any of the other abs he's had this year. If the infection were gone, he would be so much happier and could cope with waiting for the polyp op.
Why hasn’t he got an appointment yet, due to long hospital waiting lists? If you contact the hospital’s patients liaison service they may be able to look into this and get him seen faster if medically necessary, or for example if they haven’t met their own patient waiting time targets etc. Do explain the impact and the increasing severity of symptoms.
I’m not sure if his problem would be necessary for A&E - feel free to call 111 though, it very well may be worth going to A&E but if they don’t think A&E is necessary be able to get him seen ASAP by another service.
My husband had no polyps but did have chronic sinus infections which were also giving him post nasal drip and lots of coughing. He was put on antibiotics lots of times and was considering surgery. His GP suggested Montelukast. He hasn’t had an infection since starting it. He only takes the medication if he feels it start to flare again.
I wouldn't have thought he was overly at risk of sepsis. Part of the problem with sinuses and antibiotics is that they don't have great blood supply, so it's hard to get drugs to the site through the blood to be effective, but it does mean less chance of the infection getting into his blood, I would have thought.
What's the next step, initial appointment with a consultant, or has he had that?
Has he had a sample cultured to determine best antibiotic?
In the meantime I'd focus on supporting his immune system as much as possible. Vitamin C, zinc, generally lots of fresh veg and a balanced diet, as much quality sleep(!) as he can manage, reduce stress and gentle exercise.
mnthrowaway2099 heaven knows.
In January the gp gave him some sort of sniffer thing and told him to use that for 3 months.
Then he was given another sniffer thing which he had to use for another 3 months.
Then he was referred to see the specialist.
Then he waited.
He has phones the surgery, had appts with gps both f2f and phone consults. They all said there was nothing they could do to speed up the process and he should just wait until he got a letter giving him a date.
The polyp became so large he couldn't breathe through that nostril.
In the meantime, his head filled with gunk as his sinus was blocked. He has had 4 courses of antibiotics.
He got a hospital letter saying his name was now on a list to be seen by consultant and he would hear from them indue course re a date. This is just a date for initial consult, not the op. He rang them a month or so ago and the dept secretary or the appointment keeper or whoever answered the phone there said they couldn't give im more info and got quite shirty when asked for an approximate timescale.
Just over a week ag he was feeling so awful because of this raging infection in his sinus that he rang the gp again. He got yet another different doctor, but this one was concerned, said of course they could speed up the referral process and that he would put dh through as urgent, and also prescribed these heavy duty abs. DH finished the course a few days ago and while they made a big differenec they haven't actually got rid of the infection, and he is pain all the time so is mostly out of it on painkillers.
And the polyp is still growing. And he has another growing in the other nostril.
His sleep is interrupted by his need to clear out his sinus about every 2 hours - this has been going on all year. 10 months now.
He is in constant pain.
He spoke to PALS about a week ago and they were appalled and were going to try to find out what on earth is going on. If dh has heard back, he's not told me so I assume he hasn't (or they had nothing to say).
He needs HELP.
Anyway, mnthrowaway that's why he hasn't got a date for the appointment yet
Thank you for your advice, and sorry for the screed^^
We do try to eat lots of veg and he's recently opened his ind to meat-free meals once or twice a week. We cook from scratch, and there's loads of quality produce available here (market town) so I thinkwe're doing quite well on that though I'll try to up my game!
Gentle exercise is fine too.
He takes multi-vits and Vit C already so that's covered too.
I guess a&e isn't really the best way to get anything done. I was hoping they'd bung him on a drip and then get him drained and the polyp dealt with as he was there and it's become pretty urgent.
I don't know quite what to do now.
I'd just go private if you can afford to?
I think it's time to be the biggest pain in everybody's ass until it's easier to deal with you than to leave you hanging 😉
Who cares if appointments secretary is grumpy? Ring her anyway, keeping polite, but firm - your husband has been referred as urgent now, when will his appointment be?
Make another appointment with the good GP (for continuity of care of a complex ongoing case if the receptionists try to block it).
Call PALS for an update.
Have you got the name of a consultant you've been referred to? Get onto their secretary too.
Do each daily. Just calling to see if the is an update on the urgent appointment needed for Mr Jux.
I don't think A&E will physically do much apart from give him a couple of painkillers. It might give your some leverage to be seen quicker I don't know. Why do you think he needs a drip? I presume he is drinking plenty of fluids?
Having said id have thought he was at low risk of sepsis I'm not a medic beyond a first aider. I'd familiarize myself with the sepsis pathway and keep an eye out for the symptoms.
Thank you Coffee, that's what I needed. I was thinking ab drip to kill the infection once and for all.
I shall get on the phone....
Offer that he would drop everything and go to the hospital if they got a cancellation?
Sounds very frustrating! Sorry I have no tangible advice, but I definitely that you should keep ringing the hospital/PALS until he actually gets seen. 9 months is long enough to wait imo.
Also find out if there’s another hospital that he could be referred to instead - others may have shorter waiting times
Phoning has been happening thanks to you lot!
GP - another gp has now prescribed a combination of two antibiotics for the infection
PALS have said that there is only one surgeon in the whole Trust who does this op so he's "pretty busy". Apparently dh will be seen in appro January/February for the polyp (and possible reaming out of sinus at same time). They know he would drop everything to fill a cancellation.
DH is a bit happier just knowing an approximate timescale. I have persuaded him to take the full dose of all pain relief (incl paracetamol and ibuprofen) and not wander around feeling shitty and in pain, so now he is still feeling shitty but not in quite so much pain. Phew.
Thank you all.
And at last he is having his pre-op check next week, and has been told the op will normally be done within a fortnight. This is largely due to the last gp phoning the department and hurrying them up. He's the one who actually listened to dh and prescribed a combination of abs, steroids and various other things, inc stronger painkillers. All round, dh is happier though still suffering.
10 months! But we're close now.
Yes! So pleased for you both, from bloody January/February down to a fortnight is such a great result!
He was almost suicidal when I posted and I felt so helpless, but you lot really helped.me and that helped him, so we began to feel a little more confidence and able therefore to push a bit harder. It made all the difference. Thank you so so much
Gosh your poor DH. As a fellow sinus issues sufferer this sounds utterly horrendous. Glad you are now getting things sorted.
Join the discussion
Please login first.