Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! I seem to be gaining a pound in weight every couple of days!!!!!!! What could it be??

(9 Posts)
cruisemum1 Mon 13-Aug-07 18:40:58

I had my ds last Sept adn my weight fell below what I usually am (around 8 and half stone) to around 8st 2lb's. It gradually crept back up once I stopped breast feeding 3 mths ago but now I seem to be gaining on average 1lb per week!!! . I am not happy . I actually feel heavier (though I am not by any means overweight.....yet. Why could this be happening? Anyone had this happen to them?

WigWamBam Mon 13-Aug-07 18:45:22

Could be an underactive thyroid - very common after having a baby.

Get the GP to do some blood tests.

cruisemum1 Mon 13-Aug-07 18:54:42

oh flippin eck! What does that mean exactly? Should there be any other symptoms? I never had this with dd....

WigWamBam Mon 13-Aug-07 19:13:38

Some information here

Other symptoms include

feeling tired all the time
easily feeling the cold
dry or thickened skin
coarse, thinning hair and eyebrows and brittle nails
sore muscles, slow movements and weakness
depression and problems with memory and concentration
weight gain
constipation
periods

ginnypotter Mon 13-Aug-07 19:16:19

not pregnant are you?

cruisemum1 Mon 13-Aug-07 19:17:32

wigwambam - haven't got ANY of the other symptoms that i have noticed . Defo not pregnant. very odd and most disconcerting. Feel blobby

belgo Mon 13-Aug-07 19:21:38

I put on weight very quickly after stopping bfing. If you're not getting much sleep at night it is easier to put on weight; also if you lose weight fast then you'll put it back oon fast too.

Water retention maybe? due to hormones? Are you taking any medication with side effect?

foxinsocks Mon 13-Aug-07 19:22:37

this happened to me earlier this year

are you back on birth control or any other medication?

I realised it was a side effect of some hormonal stuff I was on. I just have to really watch what I eat now.

I also think you do get massive metabolic changes after having a baby. I used to have a really fast metabolism and could eat anything and everything and over the last couple of years that has changed dramatically (also an age thing I suspect).

cruisemum1 Mon 13-Aug-07 20:23:21

ugh! how depressing! I am not on any medication (contraceptive or otherwise)so it is not down to anything like that. I guess my metabolism has always been pretty fast as I could generally eat what I wanted and maintain my weight. Though having said that, I don't eat junk food, fatty stuff, chocs/cakes etc. much anyway so I do have, and generally always have had, a reasonably good diet. What's best to cut out then? Please don't say wine... I do love a tipple once the lo's are tucked up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now