Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mumps in adult males!

(9 Posts)
fussymummy Mon 13-Aug-07 18:09:04

Anyone know how long mumps last in men?
Good friend of mine been in touch to say he has it but doesn't know much else!
Don't want to visit in case i carry virus back to my kids or catch it myself.

Any advice?

A friend of mine had it as an adult and had to stay off work for 10 days.

fussymummy Mon 13-Aug-07 23:42:42

Thanks for that.
Anyone else know anything about mumps?

cmotdibbler Tue 14-Aug-07 11:13:46

My DH has just had it, and he was advised that he would be infectious until 3 days after the swelling started to go down - which can be 5 -7 days after it started. They are also infectious 3 days before the swelling comes up.
Can be very unpleasant for adult men !

fussymummy Tue 14-Aug-07 23:28:56

Thankyou cmotdibbler.

Hope your hubby's fully recovered now!

gess Tue 14-Aug-07 23:45:03

That's the problem with vaccinating against it in children (pushes up the age of the group that get it) it's not unusual in adults now.

Hope your friend is better soon, the main problem is if it results in swelling of the testes as that can cause sterility post puberty- but that's very very rare because if it does swell, usually only one is infected.

It's usually a very mild illness in children (1/3 of infected children don't show any symptoms). If you're my sort of age plus (36ish) then chances are you are immune anyway as it was so common when people of my age were kids. If you're in your 20's less likely and might be wise to definitely stay away.

fussymummy Wed 15-Aug-07 00:12:27

My friend is 42!
He thought he'd already had it!
He already has 3 teenagers and has had the snip so hes not bothered about becoming sterile!!!
Just wanted to know how long it'll take to recover.

gess Wed 15-Aug-07 08:34:12

he may have had it before- even natural immunity needs naural 'boosters' from re-exposure. Might help him have a mild case. He should be better soon- hope he doesn't swell too much!

vole3 Wed 15-Aug-07 17:48:08

My DH had it in March 2006 and our DS was conceived in the October. Mind you, he did turn into a hamster rather than John Wayne with the mumps. He felt a bit off colour for a couple of weeks and had to drink lots of cool liquids aka beer as it soothed his throat ;)
We didn't know if I'd had mumps, so I was on mump alert for about 3 weeks after his symptoms appeared, but I was fine and we presumed I had come into contact with it before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now