Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

blood pressure

(9 Posts)
loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:16:47

is there anyone whos knows much about this subject? ive gotta go and get my blood pressure done soon as i need more contreceptive pill, but i am well scared lol, the fear started over a year ago when i went to get pill from the family planning
clinic, i had just finished a cigarette and literally ran in there, now the lady said my bp was very high but every time she checked again it had gone down, then she realised she was using a cuff thatw as to small for my arm, so she got the bigger cuff and all was fine...ANYWAY since then i developed a fear of getting my bp taken and have gotton my pill by phoning the docs and spinning them all sorts of yarns lol but i think they're on to me now so i have a weeks supply left of pills then i cant put it off any longer... but what i wanted to know is-what happens if u are found to have high bp? i googled it and scared myself silly with storys of how they send u off to have ECG'S etc etc, so can anyone give me any insight?

winestein Mon 13-Aug-07 15:19:17

I think they would just advise you on ways to reduce your blood pressure. They can refuse to give you the pill if your blood pressure is too high - a friend of mine had to reduce hers before they would prescribe it again.

Do you have a lot of salt in your diet do you think?

Mercy Mon 13-Aug-07 15:27:07

Hello Loupylou! First of all - DON'T WORRY!

I also have high blood pressure and am now on medication for it.

It sounds like a case of white coat syndrome tbh; if your BP is high initially then a couple of readings are taken in the same session and it often goes down again. However if it remains high, you might be asked to go back in a couple of weeks or so for it to be checked again.

I have never had an ECG and my BP is pretty high even on medication - but there are others of MN who have and I believe it's quite quick.

Do you know what your reading was?

loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:29:24

hi wine, thanks for replying i do in a way as in if i have chips which isnt often i do welly the salt and vinegar on i am on a mini pill and had my blood pressure taken every week when i was pregnant (dd just turned 3) so if i do have it its quite recent i suppose? so u dont think they'll will pack me off for ecgs and things then? [hopefull emoticon]

loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:32:28

hi mercy nope i dont have a clue what it was, and i deffo do have the white coat syndrome lol, u wanna hear the fibs i told the docs to get them to prescribe over the phone i wouldnt mind as muchif they just put me on tablets but i couldnt bare being sent off for tests lol i suffer anxiety and would probably have a heart attack on the spot if they sent me for ecgs lolol...would be ok if it was as cut and dried as just giving me tablets though.

liath Mon 13-Aug-07 15:33:43

it's ok to take the mini pill with high BP so they won't stop it. /they'd need to take several measurements to diagnose high BP or possibly do a 24 hour BP measurement so don't panic! Loads of people have highish BP at the doctors but a 24 measurement at home is normal.

loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:37:06

thanks liath

Mercy Mon 13-Aug-07 15:40:29

As Liath says you would need to have several high readings before anything would be done to tbh.

Phone the doc and get it over with! I'm sure you will be fine.

loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:44:11

yes i will, will let u all know the outcome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: