Talk

Advanced search

What causes a GI bleed in a young bloke?.

(4 Posts)
Miljah Fri 04-Oct-19 23:09:05

23 ish.

Apparently in okay health, tho splenectomy at 5 for unknown reasons, and food poisoning, then drug allergy leading to ITU 3 years ago.

Now in hospital having apparently lost 40% blood, I can only assume rectally.

What conditions could cause that?

I don't know of any UC, IBS, Crohns with him.

I have never met him, just have this information, so can't ask any more questions.

I admit to being quite worried. Apart from the fact he is a young man, he is important to someone who is important to me.

OP’s posts: |
Greybeardy Sat 05-Oct-19 09:05:14

There are many things that can cause lower (and upper) GI bleeding. Which end of the body the blood comes out of does not necessarily tell you which end the bleeding started either.

crosser62 Sat 05-Oct-19 09:07:10

Loads of reasons from ulcers to alcohol abuse... a million reasons!

HitthefloorforTaintedLove Tue 08-Oct-19 00:57:24

Many possible reasons and hoping that the doctors treating him have found a cause (whether or not the young man has shared any diagnosis with others or prefers to keep his medical information private, I don't know from the 'apparently' in italics or if it's an approximation).

When DH had lost a similar amount of blood he was diagnosed with anaemia and further tests showed bowel cancer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »