Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a hard ganglion?

(55 Posts)
Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 21:39:52

I’ve had a lump on the top of my foot for a while - thought it was a lump of bone at first but when I went to see the doctor she said she thought it was the start of a ganglion. She could move it - I thought it didn’t move and it was the tendon moving but she assured me it did.
She said to go back if it got bigger but told
Me it was 3mm - yet it felt much bigger to me so shows how much I know.
Just noticed it again tonight and I think it may have got a big bigger but hard to tell. It’s stil really hard.
Wondering about going back for a second opinion as I really thought ganglion were soft!

OP’s posts: |
dementedma Wed 02-Oct-19 21:42:54

Yes, I had one on my wrist as a child. the doctor whacked it with a book and it went away. Absolutely true story!!!

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 21:44:06

A book?!
Was it squishy? The lump not the book grin
I’m now looking at the hardback I’m reading and my foot quite dubiously. I’d probably end up with broken bones grin

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Wed 02-Oct-19 21:46:21

i came in to say hit it with a book....I believe the Family Bible is to be recommended. But in the event of atheism then any heavy book will do grin

<not an actual doctor>

ethelredonagoodday Wed 02-Oct-19 21:58:23

My mum had one on her wrist for aaaaaages and then it just disappeared one day!

Pre that though, she was considering the book whacking approach. 😬🤣

AgathaF Wed 02-Oct-19 22:00:20

I had one on my wrist a few years ago. Whacked it with a very heavy book. Hurt like buggery but disappeared. Got another a couple of years later on the other wrist but couldn't face doing the same again so just left it. That one went off its own accord after a few months.

Mummoomoocow Wed 02-Oct-19 22:01:36

My dad had one slowly grow on his neck behind his ear. One day it just erupted? Out of nowhere. Turns out it was a hard cyst.

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:01:47

Okay now I’m really tempted to whack it with the book. It feels so hard though!
I’m going to end up on bloody crutches aren’t I?grin

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:02:29

@Mummoomoocow Boak! That sounds grim. This feels too hard to explode in any way.
Unless I hit it with a book of course, who knows what will happen then.

ThursdayLastWeek Wed 02-Oct-19 22:02:55

I had one on my wrist that just went away after a while.
It was definitely a hard lump that felt like I had an extra bit of bone in my wrist.

I think no matter the size, go back if it’s causing you pain.

WingDefence Wed 02-Oct-19 22:04:02

I’ve also had one on my wrist a few years ago but didn’t go down the heavy book route and it gradually disappeared. Can’t remember how long it took though as I’m afraid I wasn’t really paying attention!

NZlife Wed 02-Oct-19 22:05:00

I have one on the back of my wrist, it's hard but I can move it. Every so often it will disappear/burst and is agony for a day and then slowly grows back. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. they don't tend remove them on the NHS unless they're really painful as it's considered cosmetic unless it's causing pain.

Mummoomoocow Wed 02-Oct-19 22:05:12

Yeah he said it felt like bone, originally he thought his boney bit behind his ear was growing

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:06:28

Gosh that sounds horrible @NZlife sorry to hear you have to deal with that. When you say movable is it very easily movable? Mine really doesn’t seem to move that much. I guess the movement I can feel is what I thought was the tendon before but the doctor was adamant she could move it I just didn’t look too closely because it felt grim!

NigellaAwesome Wed 02-Oct-19 22:06:28

I get them at the base of my fingers, on the palm side. Super hard, feel like bone. Then after months and months, they will fell hot and sore and burst. I always feel terrible afterwards, chills and fever, for about 24 hours.

ExCwmbranDweller Wed 02-Oct-19 22:06:31

I have one on my wrist, I was SO sure it was a bony lump but one day I had the weirdest sensation in my hand and fingers and looked down, rubbing my wrist, and it was GONE. Vanished. I was sad because I'd named him but he keeps coming back, then every so often I get funny tingly fingers and it's burst again. Most odd.

I'm adding an illustrative picture and my favourite ganglion fact: if you inject contrast that shows up on an x-ray into the wrist joint it will enter the ganglion but if you inject the same contrast into the ganglion it won't go back into the wrist joint. One way valve innit.

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:10:38

@NigellaAwesome that’s interesting I thought mine felt to hard to “burst” IYSWIM.

@ExCwmbranDweller thanks for the ganglion fact that’s fascinating! What did you name him? Maybe I should name mine.

honeyalmondlatte Wed 02-Oct-19 22:11:11

I have one on my wrist. Quite large and painful at the mo so will be going to the drs. I've had it on and off for 20 years. It's attached to my tendons. It bursts sometimes but always fills back up in a few days. I know someone who ddI have theirs removed on the NHS as it was painful.

ExCwmbranDweller Wed 02-Oct-19 22:14:35

He's called Gary The Ganglion. Currently building up strength as a small lump on the back of my wrist. It's embarrassing as I'm a health professional and I was SURE it was bone. 100%. But I think I'd be in some journal or something if a bone on the back of my hand vanished like that!

We should have a competition to come up with a name for yours. Gary is taken obviously. How about Gertrude?

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:15:04

I didn’t realise how common they are!
Shows how much I know. I thought they were squishy and quite rare

Douberry Wed 02-Oct-19 22:15:35

I have one on my wrist - just appeared out of nowhere one day. I was also convinced it was some sort of bone spur but the GP could move it and made me want to vomit when she did and said it was definitely a ganglion. It's changed shape over the last few months to the point where I was so tempted to try the book whacking. I did it and it did bloody hurt though it looked like it had gone... Only to come back THE NEXT DAYshock

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:15:36

Gertrude is a strong name - I’ll take it grin

ExCwmbranDweller Wed 02-Oct-19 22:16:41

Gary does feel super weird if you try to move him but even though it's only a tiny movement it's more than you would get with a bony protuberance.

BillStickersIsInnocent Wed 02-Oct-19 22:17:33

I had one on the first knuckle of by middle finger (palm up) a couple of years ago.

The GP told me to hit it with a bible. I didn’t, it went away eventually.

Bellasblankexpression Wed 02-Oct-19 22:17:44

I gross myself out trying to move Gertrude.

@Douberry the next day?! Christ that’s a short
Term fix haha. Might avoid the book bashing in that case...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »