Talk

Advanced search

Shingles vaccination

(5 Posts)
AvillageinProvence Tue 01-Oct-19 07:58:19

Looking into shingles vaccination - not eligible on NHS as not old enough, but I see it can be done privately. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

There seem to be two vaccines - Zostavax is the older one, and Shingrix introduced a couple of years ago. NHS still uses Zostavax I think - but private clinic I've found is Shingrix. Has anyone had either of these and any experience to report? It does sound as though shingles is definitely to be avoided if at all possible!

OP’s posts: |
AvillageinProvence Tue 01-Oct-19 20:56:39

bumping for the evening people who know about shingles vaccinations!. Any experiences gratefully received.

lipschitz Fri 04-Oct-19 02:38:31

Shingrix is more effective at preventing shingles if you look at the comparisons, you will need 2 doses compared to 1 dose of zostavax. Some good tables online if you want a side by side comparisons.

AvillageinProvence Fri 04-Oct-19 08:09:03

Thanks lipschitz! Yes I'd read about the two doses of Shingrix - wasn't sure if that was essential, or if two is 'gold standard'.
If anyone has any experience of having the vaccinations (either Zoro or Shingrix), I'd be most grateful - given that shingles sounds so awful, vaccination sounds like a good idea! But not particularly cheap if done privately.

avocadoincident Wed 30-Oct-19 19:47:45

I've found this thread because I have shingles recurrence and I actually have shingles twice a year. I wonder if it's too late for me to have the vaccination seeing as shingles already lived in me?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »