Talk

Advanced search

Fungal nail

(11 Posts)
Claireshh Sun 29-Sep-19 23:55:27

Two of my toenails are in a dreadful state because of a fungal nail infection. It started in one tie after I dropped an iron on my toe. It spread to another toe over a year ago. I’ve tried over the counter lacquer and vicks. Has anyone tried anything that really worked?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 30-Sep-19 07:17:37

My dh had to get oral antifungal tablets from the gp to get rid of his. Took about 6 months

temperancefugit Mon 30-Sep-19 19:36:23

I never found anything that really worked with this but since going swimming three times a week, it’s improved immensely to barely noticeable. Is it the chlorine maybe?

redchocolatebutton Mon 30-Sep-19 19:37:35

go to the gp
or a podiatrist to see what they recommend

Bonkersblond Mon 30-Sep-19 19:42:41

Although I was sceptical about using it, Tea tree oil, twice a day for a few weeks, cleared mine up and DH is now using it for his and can see an improvement, I also gently filed the affected area before applying it a few times a week.

SallyWD Mon 30-Sep-19 21:08:25

I second tea tree oil. It's the only thing that works for me. I didn't want to take the tablets fir 6 months as I heard they're tough on the liver.

Claireshh Mon 30-Sep-19 21:21:59

I don’t want to have the six month course of antibiotics if I can help it.

I’ll give the tea tree a go.

I have read of folk using a bleach solution so that would tie in with chlorine in a swimming pool. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 30-Sep-19 21:23:44

Dh tried lots of things before getting anti fungals. It was the only thing that worked

Aoibhneas Mon 30-Sep-19 22:32:05

Cider Vinegar kills the fungus, this actually works.
The antifungal properties also make vinegar soaks a good idea for people who have toenail fungus. Soak your feet for 10 to 15 minutes daily in a vinegar bath until the infection subsides. You can increase the length of time in the soak gradually. It may take two to three weeks or longer to see improvement in symptoms.

AliceLittle Tue 01-Oct-19 21:35:47

Another vote for tea tree oil. Twice a day for at least 5-6 weeks, occasionally filing down the effected area before applying the oil. Stopped the yellowing and thick nail.

TigerDroveAgain Tue 01-Oct-19 21:40:25

In some areas you can’t get the prescription meds now. I’ve got revolting toenails and my GP said unless you’re diabetic there’s no chance of getting the meds, even privately. I’m religiously painting on some scholl anti fungal stuff but the regrowth is so slow it’s difficult to tell if it’s working

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »