Talk

Advanced search

Experiences on looking after someone after heart bypass - how long until they can be left alone?

(5 Posts)
rocketqueen1979 Sun 29-Sep-19 19:50:42

Just asking for opinions as realise all experiences will be different...and depend on many things.

Looks like partner will be having heart bypass in very near future and I’m just wondering how long he’s likely to need someone around at home once he comes out of hospital.

Does anyone have any experience of looking after someone after this type of surgery and how quickly did you feel they were ok alone during the day? As work are asking how long I might be planning on being off and I have no idea!

I have asked the consultant and he just said it’s variable - which I understand but doesn’t help me with what to tell work.

Thank you to anyone who shares their experiences 😀

Footle Tue 01-Oct-19 08:41:49

Try the British Heart Foundation website.

crosser62 Tue 01-Oct-19 08:45:33

With my dad it was about 2 weeks.

He did have lasting effects from the anaesthetic more than anything to be honest. He was anaemic and tired more than anything.

He was walking his 3 miles by about a month after and now 3 months on is pretty much back to normal.

Bunnyfuller Wed 02-Oct-19 00:05:52

The Healthunlocked BHF Forum is a fabulous place to join and ask the millions of questions you and he will have.

Everyone there has something going on with their heart, or a partner’s and lots of knowledge around drugs/dos/donts etc (autocorrect tried to make ‘donts’ into ‘donuts’, how apt!)

Very friendly over there but not fun and sweaty like here!

katewhinesalot Wed 02-Oct-19 00:15:44

Very variable. After 2 weeks my uncle felt perfectly normal whilst sitting on the sofa. Obviously struggled a bit more climbing stairs etc but that was more from the scar pulling. Wasn't left alone at that point but probably could have been if he didn't exert himself much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »