Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

SPD.......Over 2years since it came on......Still hurts pritty bad, what can I do?

(12 Posts)
jofeb04 Sun 12-Aug-07 19:14:05

SPD came on when pregnant with dd and about 13weeks into pregnancy. Dd is now almost 23months!

Used to take Co-codamol, but it now does nothing for me (and for a while, I think I was addicted to the tablets due to the strength and amount I needed).

I am on waiting list for hospital. It is not so much the pubic bone itself, but my hips are in agony (also the area between tp of legs, and bottom of stomach if that makes any sense!).

So, what can I do.... or even take? Very strong tablets make me sick and dizzy, so are no good when with my dc.

BTW, I've tried all the holistic approaches as well, but no good!

Thanks

Weegle Sun 12-Aug-07 20:28:30

Oh poor you, that's horrid. Is it definitely SPD - is that the correct diagnosis? Have you had MRI scan/x-ray to determine that for sure? If so then have you tried an osteopath who is experienced in women's health? If you are not 100% sure of the diagnosis then I would be a little more wary about trying an osteopath. It may also be worth seeing a physio who could teach you some core adominal exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding the pelvis to help support and stabilise it. Pilates would be good for this too. Continue with your pelvic floor excercises, again to stabilise your pelvis. Brace your pelvis floors and your lower abs whenever you are listing or twisting - this takes a bit of practice. In terms of painkillers... have you tried anti-inflammatories? Do they make any difference? I've waffled on about it on here before but if it's an area you can access reasonably well topically then try Voltarol (Diclofenac) gel - fab stuff in my opinion.

I'm not a medical professional, and I hope someone more experienced can advise better but these are all things I do (except the osteo as that's not recommended for me) as I have an incredibly unstable pelvis from a rheumatic condition, triggered by pregnancy.

Hope you get some relief soon

NeverEndingPileOfLaundry Sun 12-Aug-07 20:33:47

Hi,

You have my every sympathy. I can't help you, but was thinking about starting a thread on this as well this evening, so it will be interesting to read the replies you get.

You have done well in putting up with it for so long - my DD is only 6 months! Osteopathy has helped me a bit, but I have suffered a relapse recently.

I hope that you find a solution very soon.

laundrylover Sun 12-Aug-07 20:52:52

Poor you at 23 months down the line.

I had SPD with my second followed by awful back ache after she was born. I hobbled on until I went to see a chiropracter (I was very sceptical) but he did something to make my pubic bone go back together (apparently!) and a week later I was sorted. That was about 5 months ago and I haven't had any pain since.

I guess it doesn't work for everyone but it was worth £50 for me.

Hope you get sorted soon.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 12-Aug-07 20:57:22

only thing that helped me in really awful times was a hot water bottle.

You need to go back to GP and speed along your hospital appointment.

You could have a displaced/malaligned pelvis from it. Get nagging lady.

jofeb04 Sun 12-Aug-07 21:07:35

Thanks for responding, sometimes it feels like I am the only one still suffering!

I've tried the Osteopath, didn't seem to help at all. I know my hips are out of alignment (?).

I've tried diclofenac tablets, made me really ill (might have been due to the shear amount of tablets I was on though) is the gel much better?

My doctor tells me to go the gym but then I end up twice as sore, back at the doctors, and then he say's that if it is that painful I shouldn't have gone. Doh!

It seems to come and go, this period it is hurting has been 5days of constant pain. I'm waiting for it too dye down, but I know it is going to come back lol

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 12-Aug-07 21:09:41

Ask for a referral to a rheumatologist

jofeb04 Sun 12-Aug-07 21:14:06

Thanks for that info VVVQV.

But.....what do they do?

I'm being referred to someone (I had to ask for referral!), but it is not to them - Can't remember name though

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 12-Aug-07 21:32:24

rheumatologists deal with joints, ligements etc. Its who I was referred to when mine persisted.

It was a senior rheumatologist who discovered my malformed sacro-iliac joint (which had been missed on at least 3 other x-rays).

jofeb04 Sun 12-Aug-07 21:38:11

Thanks VVVQV. Going to phone the doctors tomorrow for an appointment.

pirategirl Sun 12-Aug-07 23:34:33

the gym , i was told to stay away from the gym.

Has to be said that my spd, which is now 5 yrs old, is much better. I would say the last 2 yrs have seen a marked improvement.

I have alos gone on the pill, which has helped greatly in stabilising my hormones, its the one you take all the time with no break.

I asked a question on here about spd a while back and someone said their gp, actually prescribed the pill to help.

My gues is less hormonal surges, therefore less inflamation pre period etc.

I now use the gym, but DONT use the upright bikes, use the recumbant bike. Core strenght is the key, u could try pilates, or just have awareness of your pelvic floor, and tummy muscles and try to pull them in to build strength.

its a complete bitch isnt it. hope youfind some relief soon.

Weegle Mon 13-Aug-07 18:51:24

Diclofenac gel won't cause the gut problems that the pills do. Most GP's would also prescribe something to protect your gut - I take omeprazole. Although I am on long term diclofenac I take the suppository which quite frankly is the bees knees. I am also under the care of a rheumatologist as all my pelvic pain from pregnancy turned out to be a rheumatic condition.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: