Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone used kettlebells?

(15 Posts)
kittywits Sun 12-Aug-07 14:21:00

I'm thinking of not renweing my horrendously expensive gym membership and investing in some exercise equipment instead. I've been reading quite alot about kettlebells recently. They supposee to be really good for weight loss and building muscle tone.
I wonder whether any of you had used them?
Do you recommend them?

kittywits Sun 12-Aug-07 18:39:34

anyone?

kittywits Sun 12-Aug-07 20:41:32

Ah well, guess mnetters aren't the kettlebell types!!

Piffle Mon 13-Aug-07 11:46:05

kitty come talk to me
am very lonely kettlebell user

kittywits Mon 13-Aug-07 12:17:32

Pif, you can be my mentor!!!!!
I know nothing apart from the fact that it's amazing for both toning and cardio.
How often do you do it for, what size bell.
I can't believe there aren't other Mnetters around who do it

Piffle Mon 13-Aug-07 13:54:34

I'm only a beginner Kitty truly, my osteo recommended it to me for helping stop recurrence of back pain bu biulding up my core/tummy area.

So far has been great.
that goddess one you linked to is by the lady who demonstrates all the moves in my book (also from Dragons Dorr)
I got my KB's 2 x 8kg from here

I also do a dvd workout Charlie Brooks 2-3 x per week which is good for cardio and core as well.
Am changing shape quite noticeably now.

Mostly do the swing as am so uncoordinated I fear doing much else, but can do one arm swing and one handed snatch lift (about 5 reps each arm) my arms seem strong I think as have been carting my human KB Finn around for so long

I am also healthy eating again and have dropped about 2 kgs despite not being overweight, but expect to put that on again hopefully with lean muscle...
Well....
here is hoping!

kiwibella Mon 13-Aug-07 15:43:34

ok... odd question - how much room do you need when you are swinging a kettle ball around? They sound fab but I don't want to be doing any damage (to me, my family, or my living room )

Piffle Tue 14-Aug-07 10:18:23

umm not that much a bit of height ie@ not under your best chandeliers...

I often do in my hallway as you need an arms length in front and bit behind....

kittywits Tue 14-Aug-07 15:10:02

Ok I ordered 2x 8kg bells.
I'm still wondering which is the best dvd to get.
The Goddess one is not for beginners apparantly.
I've heard that the one you've got Piff has got some burly Russian bloke shouting 'commrade ' at you .

Piffle Tue 14-Aug-07 17:44:11

he does kitty he is blardy funny
It is good
Have sore back today (pulled it last night moving Finns cot back into our room ) but can still do kb swings with no pain <impressed>

You can get the book (I've just ordered the dvd too) From Russia with tough love from amazon - luckily I got mine from an amazon seller 2nd hand for a tenner.

Look on you tube for exercise search unde5r kettlebell or lisa shaffer and you get some good and more importantly FREE demos

I'm being doubly careful about technique due to my back is all...

Piffle Tue 14-Aug-07 17:45:39

burly shouty russian comrade here

Piffle Wed 15-Aug-07 17:04:37

kitty you kb's arrived yet?

kittywits Thu 16-Aug-07 18:56:34

yes yesterday. I got 2, 8kg ones . Not sure if I needed two though, I can barely lift up one !!!
I looked up some basic moves on youtube etc, the swing: My back and hips hurt today, especially the one that got damaged during ronnie's birth.
I tried 'the snatch' (sounds peverse!!) but couldn't do it. Dh reckons they are too heavy, but I'm sure I'll get used to them.

I'll have to be careful not to overdo it. I've orderd the same dvd that you've got. V exciting though. I've also bought some 'mbt's' this summer and they really work my leg muscles.

Piffle Fri 17-Aug-07 09:24:52

oooh mbt's I want some too, esp for back probs I heard they are great.

The swing should not hurt if you are doing it right kitty.
I have severe lower lumber issues and even when in pain I can do the swing without aggravating it.
make sure you take the downswing into your glutes (ass) and hamstrings and then quickly snap your hips forward

it takes a fair few goes to get a rhythm going and I can only do it for 1.5 minutes at a time I stop and do that about 10x a day at diff times.

After 2 wks I tried one armed swings, not too bad, from their progressed to one arm snatches using the swing.

I have 2 kb's but am only using one atm, I am not yet fit enough to tackle the dvd in full but am nearly ready...

I have to confess to being quite addicted to it though

Also to report 1.5% bodyfat loss in last 3 wks
wish it would come of my boobs though

kittywits Fri 17-Aug-07 10:50:17

I hope it doesn't come off mine
Ok it sounds like I'm trying to do too much too soon.
I have to wait for the dvd to arrive. Until then I'll practise the basic swings. Going on hols tomorrow( With 6 kids and one mother I use that term very lightly!) I think I'll take a kb with me, might relieve any stresses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now