Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have a lump in my breast, feeling very tearful & my imagination is running wild...

(37 Posts)
nanninurse Sat 11-Aug-07 23:49:39

I noticed this in bed on fri morning, I thought i was laid on something at first, I then realised I have a hard lump , It seems big 2 inch+ above and possibly behind my right nipple. It is sore to touch, but I have no signs of infection..

Anyone been here? I'm terrified.

moondog Sat 11-Aug-07 23:54:49

Oh dear nannin,how frightening for you.
Now rationally and logically it is statistically unlikely to be anything dodgy but you need to get it checked out asap.
Have yuo told anyone in RL?
Have you made a doctor's appointment?

Doodledootoo Sat 11-Aug-07 23:58:47

Message withdrawn

nanninurse Sat 11-Aug-07 23:59:55

I rang the gp surgery, no soon apts , seeing practise nurse mon after work.

Told one person in rl. get upset though, feel unable to concentrate, also been feeling unwell, this week so tired, my imagination is wild......

BURNINGTHECANDLE Sun 12-Aug-07 00:00:14

Hey nanni try not to worry yes that has happened to me and it turned out to be a fibroadenoma I think it is called also known as a breast mouse quite big and they move away from your fingers when you touch them I got both lumps checked out though and the care and support I recieved was second to none.
Try not to worry although that is easier said than done I panicked with both of mine, so do know how you are feeling. x

AuntAdaDoom Sun 12-Aug-07 00:01:47

Are you breast-feeding or pregnant? It sounds like quite a big lump to have appeared quite quickly. And the fact that it's sore to touch makes it sound like inflammation.

Obviously you need to see your GP asap, the GP will refer you for scans and/or a biopsy if necessary.

I know it's scary but it could be lots of things so try and get some sleep - and stop prodding your lump, if it is an infection it'll only make it worse! Let us know how you get on. xx

MrsBeetle Sun 12-Aug-07 00:04:45

I had a lump appear from nowhere. The GP checked it and was 90% sure it was a cyst but sent me for a follow up anyway. I was seen two days later - it was a cyst no problems after.

nanninurse Sun 12-Aug-07 00:07:16

Thankyou ladies.
No, I'm not breastfeeding or pregnant & I am mid cycle.

Will stop proding & go to bed. I will let you know how i get on..

WanderingTrolley Sun 12-Aug-07 00:09:23

Doodle is right about pain.

You can have a cyst even if you aren't pg or bfing.

Find out what your gp's out of hours service offers - do you live near a hospital that has a gp unit open at the weekends?

Sorry you're so worried about this - as it's tender to the touch is really is unlikely to be something to frighten yourself about.

Hope you have peaceful day tomorrow.

PeachesMcLean Sun 12-Aug-07 00:10:12

I had a mammogram and ultrasound becuase the dr thought I had a huge cyst in my right breast. She checked it out, assured me it wasn't cancer because it had a different texture and wasn't "tethered" in the same way. In my case, turned out to be nothing more than bad hormones. For some reason, my tubes were swelling up each month, and going down again a week or so later. But the mamogram really put my mind at rest (although it was quite uncomfortable)

PeachesMcLean Sun 12-Aug-07 00:11:45

And it was sore to touch.

Hope that helps in some way. But still get it checked.
PMxx

hellobello Sun 12-Aug-07 09:41:34

I've spent a couple of weeks wondering about the same problem. Everything happens v. quickly. I saw my gp just over 2 weeks ago, I've had a mammogram and a biopsy and a needle test. Last week they got the results back, which despite the biopsy are still inconclusive, so next week I am having the lump removed because it's pretty big and growing. They did say they could leave it for another 6 months, but I don't know if I want to have a growing lump in my boob.

Although it's hard to stay positive, at least you have noticed something and can now start doing something about it.

I will find out what the lump is after it has been removed, but I do feel a bit better knowing that it is being taken out.

I hope it goes well!

nanninurse Mon 13-Aug-07 18:35:10

Went to see the nurse just now, who says they routinely refer all b/lumps to the breast clinic, she says I will get a date for 2-3 wks. Too long imo..

She didn't seem too worried & said if it goes away after my next period, i should ring up & cancel the appt. I hope it goes!!

It's still hard but not painful, unless I press hard on it, I'm not convinced it's hormonal.

WanderingTrolley Mon 13-Aug-07 18:40:46

"She didn't seem too worried"

I reckon she would have called a doctor in and you would have an appointment sooner if she thought it was something sinister.

Would you feel better if you see a doctor, and push for a sooner appointment?

nanninurse Mon 13-Aug-07 18:48:34

yes I prob would but i am allover the place
one minute i am tearful next really positive.

loopylou6 Mon 13-Aug-07 19:01:06

aww u poor thing nanninurse, i really feel for u, i know what its like having to wait for appointments and the worry hangs over u like a cloud, but like the others have pointed out, its VERY unlikely to be anything nasty simply because its painful

PeachesMcLean Mon 13-Aug-07 22:08:41

Nanninurse, I've just realised I wasn't quite accurate below. My "lump" was coming on mid cycle (you mentioned you're mid cycle too) and going about a week after the period started. So I had about a week each month where I was pain / lump free. This might not be your situation but just thought I should mention the mid cycle thing. Definitely turned out to be hormonal for me.
TBH personally I'd still go for the appointment at the breast clinic even if you think it has gone away - better to just put your mind at rest once and for all.
Just remember, there are several things just listed here which could be causing it.
PMxx

GreatAuntieWurly Tue 14-Aug-07 09:10:40

nanni, my sister found a lump and was sent to a clinic to get it checked out. She went thru exatly the same emotions as you have and it was also only 4 months after we lost our aunt to breast cancer so immedialty thought the worst.

She went to the clinic to get it checked out, had a scan and the doctor then got another doctor in to get a second opinion. It turned out to be scar tissue from when she had fell off her bike a couple of months before. Doctor explained that being scar tissue it will always now be there but if it changed then to go back and get it checked out. It was a very emotional time for all of us.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Tue 14-Aug-07 09:20:54

i found a lump like you decribed a fwe years ago, went for tests and it was a fibroid enoma (sp?) which is like scar tissue but they dont know where it comes from, nearly 3 years on its nearly gone, but nothing to worry about!!

thinking of you, its a horrible time!

nanninurse Fri 17-Aug-07 20:11:55

Letter from breast clinic, appt. Fri 23rd.

I don't want to go, I feel really scared, I am such a wuss at the best of times, I can honestly say my pain thresh hold is nil..

I rang gp for blood results( fbc, thyroid, hormone levels ?? etc) They are all normal. Great, I think?.

I have cried now & feel better. I do not want to talk about this in r/l , Ijust get emotional. I want it to go away. I want everyone to go away at mo, I think I may have pmt or maybe i'm just tired.

nappyneeds Sat 18-Aug-07 21:49:53

nanninurse - I am much the same - I always think the worst when these sorts of things happen - we must be born worriers!

Although you have to make sure you check it out im sure its nothing to worry about. There are quite a few explanations for breast lumps - i read up on everything when I discovered a lump a few years back. I sympathise with you because it is such a scary process to go through even though its probably nothing serious. I too remember getting my date through for the breast clinic. I went (on my own) and after an exam was referred to have an ultra sound. A very small lump did show up but they didnt believe it to be cancerous.

I had surgery to remove what turned out to be TWO small lumps. Doctors kept telling me it was probably a cyst or a fibroidenoma but I wasnt happy with their 'guesses'.

It was biopsied after my operation and 2 weeks later I was told it was a papiloma (a non-cancerous growth). So a happyish ending was had.

I still go every year to clinics as my mum had breast cancer.

The best thing you can do is make sure you're up to speed on family history with regards to health as I remember having a few forms to fill in asking many questions about family etc as they will try and determine genetic risk as well. Otherwise really try not to worry (I know its hard) but you can do it. Save the worrying for the day and forget about it till then if you can.
Hope things go well x

hellobello Sun 19-Aug-07 12:06:22

Nanninurse, I felt the same just a couple of weeks ago. I've been in hospital, had the lump removed, and really, that bit wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. The anaesthetic was wonderful and I though it would all be a lot more uncomfortable afterwards than it is. It IS worrying and not at all nice to go through. The biopsy for me was pretty horrid, then didn't show anything. They said they could leave things for another 6 months, but I didn't really want to. 23rd isn't long to wait. Keep us informed!

nanninurse Wed 22-Aug-07 09:43:19

I am feeling ok, not premenstrual anymore, so much more rational!

I,ve booked a half days leave for fri pm, as it says leave 4 hours for your appt.which is at 08.30am.

I am so glad i can 'talk' on here. It means alot..

hellobello Wed 22-Aug-07 14:22:32

Are you going to a one-stop Breast Clinic? That's where I went and in theory they should be able to tell you that day what the problem is. I'm crap with pain too. It's not as bad as having babies, really!

Sometimes they use an ultrasound to see what's what. The first time I went I had a needle biopsy which is a tiny needle and can tell them what the prob is. The core biopsy was far more unpleasant and even having the lump removed was far less painful afterwards. Maybe the doctor doing the biopsy was a sadist. Her bedside manner was appalling.

Good luck for tomorrow. I hope it all goes well. I won't find out till the end of the month what is wrong, then we are leaving the country, I hope

meandmyflyingmachine Wed 22-Aug-07 14:27:46

Oh. Just seen this. Good luck on Friday. Had a similar thing a while back. It was all fine in the end. Painful is good everyone kept assuring me.

My fingers are crossed for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now