Talk

Advanced search

Smell smoke

(9 Posts)
Mumma1984 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:07:15

Now I've had this before a few years ago at a time of high anxiety (altho I always have high anxiety) ... but I have it again and I stupidly googled it... brain tumor

Has anyone else been able to smell smoke for a few days even though you haven't been near any and no one else can smell it? It's on and off and really bugging me !

OP’s posts: |
BringmeGin Wed 25-Sep-19 20:09:56

My mum had a problem like this years ago, she kept smelling burning, then ripe fruit smelled like rotting fish for a while, she now has very little sense of smell and her tastebuds are affected a bit too although she can and does still enjoy food. No brain tumour, just nerve damage I think it ended up being. Best to see your GP if it continues for long though but wanted to share to reassure you it may not be anything sinister x

Oldmum55 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:10:52

Mumma1984 don't panick I had it too! Lasted a long time, it got worse before it got better. At times it was unbearable and like you I googled it expecting to be nothing much. Eventually it went still not sure what caused it, apart like you high levels of anxiety. Have an eye test, that helped me with the fear of a tumour.

Mumma1984 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:52:19

Yeh mine went last time I had it a couple years back and I forgot about it until it bloody came back a few days ago, my nostrils feel almost a bit sore/burning - I've used some saline spray which seems to of helped the smell a little - I'm wondering if it's to do with a dry nose or something ... change in weather etc

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Wed 25-Sep-19 23:06:36

I had this a few years ago. Doctor said it was due to inflamed sinuses - Beconase sorted it out.

Brain tumour unlikely (I'd suspected that too, thanks to Dr Google) but you should see a doctor.

Mumma1984 Thu 26-Sep-19 06:27:37

@supermooniskeepingmeupto yeh I seem to of woken up this morning with a blocked nose ... maybe it's all because of a cold ... my doctors is so hard to get in at

Deathgrip Thu 26-Sep-19 06:35:34

Have you recently started to use your heating for the first time in months? Smells like burning here (I guess dust on the radiators?) for a while each autumn.

Could a neighbour be smoking or are you detached?

I have a lot of health issues some of which are not yet diagnosed but even when I have one or two symptoms which could be cancer according to Google, I never think it’s that or worry about it being that. Is it possible your anxiety is now presenting as health anxiety? Are you getting any help for the anxiety?

Gamorasgran Thu 26-Sep-19 07:40:10

I once did the same as you - sinus infection.

I have health anxiety and I googled this with the same fear. Then I got really snotty.

Mumma1984 Thu 26-Sep-19 08:13:36

@Deathgrip yeh I do have health anxiety, annoying though because the service that you can self refer to say I'm not even registering in the clinical scale for treatment after all the questionnaires they do with you, so they won't do anything - I'm looking at private CBT, wish I thought like you I think everything is cancer!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »