Talk

Advanced search

Tonsillitis and pregnant (20 weeks) please help with pain relief. Can I take ibuprofen?

(9 Posts)
fairybeagle Sun 22-Sep-19 18:10:49

I am in absolute bits (why does tonsillitis always start over the weekend with no access to GP). I'm going to go to the GP tomorrow in the hopes of getting antibiotics.

But god I am in so much pain. I can only take paracetamol as apparently you can't take ibuprofen anymore!? I took it while pregnant with DC1 two years ago!?

I've been doing salt water gargles, drinking honey and lemon and ice water/drinking the ice as well as hot water bottle but I'm still in agony. I'm probably very hormonal too I just feel so hopeless.

OP’s posts: |
fairybeagle Sun 22-Sep-19 18:11:28

Sorry that's a really long post on tonsillitis. I just feel horrendous. I would rather be having contractions and that's saying something!!!

Erismorn Sun 22-Sep-19 18:13:40

If you can manage without then do. See NHS advice here www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/pregnancy/can-i-take-ibuprofen-when-i-am-pregnant/

HellsBellsK Sun 22-Sep-19 18:19:35

I was told no to nurofen but you can take solpadeine up to 34 weeks I think.
Could try gargle with if you dissolvable ones?

JudgeRindersMinder Sun 22-Sep-19 18:21:32

Isn’t the recommendation paracetamol only in pregnancy? That would help with your temperature and swelling of your tonsils.
You’ve all my sympathy-I has tonsillitis when I was pregnant too

HavelockVetinari Sun 22-Sep-19 18:22:08

It's a no to ibuprofen, it was also a no 3 years ago when I was pg with DS. Sorry, tonsillitis is shit flowers

wineandsunshine Sun 22-Sep-19 18:27:57

Oh you poor thing. Dissolve the paracetamol and gargle?
Hope the GP gives you some antibiotics tomorrow! Rest up op

fairybeagle Sun 22-Sep-19 18:46:09

Thanks for the replies. Just googled solpadiene but apparently you can't take when pregnant sad (I will check with GP tomorrow as could really do with some more pain relief!
Paracetamol does seem to help but it doesn't last more than three hours and I can only take 8 in 24 hrs which just isn't enough.

Thanks for the well wishes. A long night ahead (DS 1 1/2 still wakes all night as well). Will get to docs as soon as I possibly can!

fairybeagle Sun 22-Sep-19 18:46:44

Thanks for the replies. Just googled solpadiene but apparently you can't take when pregnant sad (I will check with GP tomorrow as could really do with some more pain relief!
Paracetamol does seem to help but it doesn't last more than three hours and I can only take 8 in 24 hrs which just isn't enough.

Thanks for the well wishes. A long night ahead (DS 1 1/2 still wakes all night as well). Will get to docs as soon as I possibly can!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »