Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aaargh might have given three puffs of seretide (inhaler) to ds when he should only have two, worst possible outcome? Or not a problem?

(20 Posts)
emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 19:50:43

According to the counter on the inhaler I have given three puffs, not sure how it happened, might have pressed it twice in a row? But if he had one too many does anybody know if it#s a big problem?

Am abroad atm so not sure who to ask

PotatoOfDoom Fri 10-Aug-07 19:52:23

I wouldn't have thought as a one off it'll be an issue, but I'm sure someone who knows more will post in a moment

binklehasflipped Fri 10-Aug-07 19:53:34

I take seretide daily and I wouldnt have thought 1 dose would have any negative effects at all - at worst they feelings of being a bit skittish

Wheelybug Fri 10-Aug-07 19:54:19

If its similar to an asthma inhaler - you can't actually do any damage by taking too much, particularly in a one off. That counts for ventolin, becotide and the green one (is that seretide ?). But thats from personal experience am not a medic !

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 19:54:37

Which seretide is it - is it seretide 50? (that's the lowest they have I think and is the one I'm on - there's much higher dose ones).

I'm on 2 puffs twice a day unless asthma gets bad and I am then supposed to take 3 puffs a day. Obviously for a child that may be different, but my gut feel is that if his asthma symptoms worsened that he'd probably be put on higher dose for a short while anyway? As a one off I can't see that you're going to see any major side effects (or even many minor ones).

I know if I take too much ventolin I start feeling a bit jittery, but again, no long term effects - maybe he'll feel a bit jittery for a bit?

Can you see a GP where you are just to reassure yourself?

Slubberdegullion Fri 10-Aug-07 19:54:57

Not a problem

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 19:55:13

Thanks for your answers.

It#s purple, and it#s a preventer inhaler but it also has a beta antagonist or something included

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 19:55:53

Yes it's seretide 50

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 19:56:46

Just panicking a bit because according to the leaflet children under 4 shouldn't even have it, and he#s only 14 months

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 19:56:48

Oh ... also, on those counters, sometimes it does that - I've pressed it and barely anything's come out yet it ticked over. Also at the end there always seems loads left even though counter says zero. I wouldn't entirely trust that the counter bit is accurate, tbh

Howdydoody Fri 10-Aug-07 19:56:54

I wouldnt worry - my ds has epilepsy and once both dh and i gave him his morning dose without realising so overdosed him . We were mortified but the doc reassured us that he would be fine and most childrens doses are pretty low for most things - i think they must allow for parents mistakes.

binklehasflipped Fri 10-Aug-07 19:57:02

no worries at all at that dose - if he does feel a bit wobbly and shaky it will wear off in an hour or so

Slubberdegullion Fri 10-Aug-07 19:58:52

beta antagonist long acting broncodilator. Also contains corticosteriod. I extra puff of each not a problem.

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 19:59:02

Not sure about that young. I'd get him to the out of hours GP service where you are, just to put your mind at rest.

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 19:59:47

Thanks everyone.

I loooooooooooooooove MN so much...

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 19:59:57

(I think there's far more issues of long term on a too high dose rather than a one off too high dose, iyswim)

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 20:00:27

RubberDuck! Just when I had convinced myself it would be okay!

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 20:02:51

LOL sorry - when I said I don't know about that young, I just meant I have no experience

My default position is always if you're worried see a GP ... not that I really think there's an issue here.

I do know that Seretide 50 is a fairly low dose though... they go up much higher than that for asthmatics who have harder to control asthma.

I also know that asthma drugs are one of the safest and most widely used drugs out there.

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you more.

xxx

RubberDuck Fri 10-Aug-07 20:10:58

emkana, you okay?

Worried I've upset you unnecessarily now.

emkana Fri 10-Aug-07 20:13:08

No I'm okay just had to kiss my dd#s good night.

Have decided not to worry.

Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now