Talk

Advanced search

Can Mirena cause IBS?

(7 Posts)
Coffeeonadrip Tue 17-Sep-19 21:06:22

Just that really. I have been suffering with my tummy for months. It comes and goes - mostly pain and bloating. When it's in it lasts about a week (initially was around ovulation but now it's also at random times) and then it goes away for a couple weeks. Had blood tests, vaginal swab, pelvic ultrasound. All good. Initially gp thought PCOS but their current thinking is that mirena has caused me to have ibs due to its muscle relaxing effect hmm and hormones. Had mirena for almost 2 years, stomach issues for about 9 months.

Is that even a thing?? I'm really confused. Can't find much research on it online. Anybody got any info?

They won't send me for any further tests re bowel issues until I've tried ibs medicine. Buscopan works a bit but not for long.

My anxiety is through the roof, I'm worried it's something really serious sad

OP’s posts: |
Richlyfruited Wed 18-Sep-19 12:19:28

Mine definitely affects my lower stomach every month. I also get bladder pain with it which GP has always refused to acknowledge is related to the coil!

I notice there's a monthly pattern to it all now so I don't really worry about it as much. I would def go back again to GP if it persists for much longer.

Coffeeonadrip Wed 18-Sep-19 19:45:38

Thanks @Richlyfruited I'm glad I'm not alone with this!

OP’s posts: |
BigMamaFratelli Wed 18-Sep-19 19:52:54

Opposite problem to you but pretty certain mine is the cause of my constipation

timshelthechoice Wed 18-Sep-19 19:57:56

Yes! Google for the leaflet that comes with the device and read it, it's in there.

bengalcat Wed 18-Sep-19 20:01:26

Likely unrelated as you had the mirena for 15 months with no issues . Only way to know for sure is change your method of contraception .

JorisBonson Wed 18-Sep-19 22:32:21

Yes! I had this every month with the mirena

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »