Talk

Advanced search

Heart valve replacement - TAVI - what to expect

(6 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Mon 16-Sep-19 19:38:12

My lovely FIL is finally going in for this op this week after a long wait. Now it’s close we are all feeling a bit nervous - he has been told it can take up to 6 hours and he will be ICU afterwards . He is 82. Has anyone got any experiences they can share to help us prepare ? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
ChelseaCat Mon 16-Sep-19 19:51:02

What specifically are you worried about? Seeing him on ITU? Mobility? Independence? Pain?

Liveinthepresent Mon 16-Sep-19 20:08:56

Thanks for the reply - I just want to be well informed as to what’s normal I think
DH is taking him into the hospital and we just want to be able to reassure him what’s normal really .
I think MIL will be quite anxious about ICU.

Supergrassyknoll Mon 16-Sep-19 20:15:27

Hi, I had a mitral valve replacement in 2015, I was 37 at the time. Most of the other patients were elderly. It's very routine and if it helps, whilst I was in terrible pain post op, the older lot weren't which is due to the lessening of nerve ending as we grow older.

Supergrassyknoll Mon 16-Sep-19 20:19:16

If I may, I'd suggest you fuss as little as possible. My op was only months after the death of my son as I was diagnosed with a serious illness (which essentially caused his stillbirth) which was why I needed the heart surgery if you see what I mean, so we were pretty stunned about the whole thing but I do believe the less worrying and fretting about these things the better. He'll be in safe hands xx

Liveinthepresent Mon 16-Sep-19 21:34:29

Thanks Supergrassy - appreciate the reply and am sorry to hear of your experience.
We won’t fuss - I just thought if DH and I know a bit more we can inform / reassure as needed.
We looked online and it clearly isn’t a 6
Hour procedure so don’t know where he got that from and we have let him know.
I won’t see him until afterwards now - but he and MIL are stoic types on the surface they will be ok with DH organising them !
FIL is excited as well as he has Been waiting since February.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »