Talk

Advanced search

Back of hand and forearm - so painful, like a burn..

(5 Posts)
lborgia Mon 16-Sep-19 11:42:16

Any ideas?! I'm so tired I am in bed and almost asleep at 8.30pm.

Burning started on back of hand this lunchtime, and within a couple of hours there was a band of burning tracking up the forearm to... just below the elbow?

No bloody idea and a bit weird. If I wasn't so tired I'd be freaked out I think.

Ps not in UK hence it's bedtime.

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 16-Sep-19 12:02:44

Start of shingles maybe

BlackInk Mon 16-Sep-19 12:03:30

Hi OP

It could be many things, and you might just have to wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Shingles starts as an invisible sunburn like pain, and then spots/blisters appear in a rash, usually within days. With shingles the rash/pain is always on one side of the body only and in a band as it follows nerve pathways.

However, I had exactly this sunburn like pain for several weeks (nothing visible on skin at all). GP said it was probably a trapped nerve in my shoulder, but I don't really think it was - my pain was on the back of one shoulder, tracking under my armpit.

BI

lborgia Mon 16-Sep-19 12:12:38

Can you get shingles even if you've had really bad chicken pox?

I always thought that I'd be immune because I was so unwell as a child...

Pretty sure it's not a trapped nerve because it's literally on the surface and whilst it's sore, the slightest graze is horrible. Just like a burn I suppose.

Thanks for those....

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 16-Sep-19 12:41:40

You can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox as it's a reactivation of the CP virus. Severity of CP isn't a factor in shingles reactivation as far as I know

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »