Talk

Advanced search

DS very prone to colds, anything I can do?

(6 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-Sep-19 07:09:11

Besides daily vitamins (I forget most of the time), probiotic drinks, hand washing, flu immunisation...? Vicks at night... Anything else I can do to up his defences, poor thing?
They often go to his chest in which case he has had inhalers before. He’s streaming and wheezy this morning and just looks so tired.
I know it’s a minor problem but he was a formula fed, c section, winter-born baby so I just feel I should be doing more for him! He’s almost 2.

OP’s posts: |
TheJoxter Mon 16-Sep-19 07:14:28

Flu jab won’t help with colds because they’re different things

Do you have the heating on at night? I find I have those symptoms if the heating is left on, I think because of the warm dry air.

Otherwise boosting his immune system is the best thing you can do, I give my kids elderberry syrup in winter and it really helps

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-Sep-19 07:14:43

Oh bum, just seen he’s too young for the flu vaccine this year 🤦🏼‍♀️

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-Sep-19 07:15:41

Oh thanks! Never heard of elderberry syrup, will look it up. Don’t tend to have the heating on at night but comes on about 5 ish so i’ll Double check.

redchocolatebutton Mon 16-Sep-19 07:26:55

first time in pre-school/nursery?

if yes, I'm afraid he will have a cold per month until easter...it's normal (if a total pain.

what you can do:
- sleep
- nutrition, plenty of fruit & veg, oily fish once or twice a week
- exercise (one hour a day of mad tumbling about, ideally outside)
- hygiene (regular handwashing)

you should give a vit d3 supplement but a general one containing that would do.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 16-Sep-19 08:49:53

Hello, thanks! He had a cold basically last October-March pretty much, and started nursery in April. He has an older brother too (who has just started school so I should probably boost him up too!). Thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »