Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Would you go to the doctor for this or not? I need some perspective because I HATE going to the doctor

(14 Posts)
foxinsocks Thu 09-Aug-07 22:34:09

Rightio - early last week, I got a sore throat. This culminated in me losing my voice. By around Wed/Thurs last week, the sore throat disappeared and my voice came back. Or so I thought.

Every day since then (so a week), I wake up with no voice. It steadily comes back over the course of the day and finally, at around 10/11ish is back (but a bit deeper than normal). By around 7-8ish, it starts to go again and by 9, it has completely gone.

It's painful - but not enough to reach for any pills iyswim. It's showing absolutely no sign of getting any better, if anything, it appears to be getting slightly worse (i.e. I'm without voice for longer) every day.

I've never had something like this before. Do I just wait for my voice to come back?

Tortington Thu 09-Aug-07 22:35:19

yes go to doctor.

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 22:35:54

Message withdrawn

madamez Thu 09-Aug-07 22:36:04

Sorry dear, but if it's not right after another week, go to the doctor. It's probably a bug that might need an antibiotic to shift it, but there's a small chance of it being something more problematic, though this depends on your age, exposure to cig smoke, etc.

littlelapin Thu 09-Aug-07 22:36:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrettyCandles Thu 09-Aug-07 22:36:42

Ditto.

PrettyCandles Thu 09-Aug-07 22:37:34

Bah! Thread moved on too fast. Ditto custy I meant. Take yourself off to the GP.

foxinsocks Thu 09-Aug-07 22:38:38

mmm ok, will make an appointment for next week (well, we still have that stupid system where I can make one for a week in advance or phone on the day).

Yes, have gargled. And sprayed with sprays and sucked lozenges.

Gggrrrr at silly voice going.

foxinsocks Thu 09-Aug-07 22:39:56

thanks for your help .

getting an appointment is such a pain (as is waiting for gawd knows how long in the waiting room) that I try and go as little as possible!

3Ddonut Thu 09-Aug-07 22:40:22

sorry, my stock response is: if in doubt, check it out....wouldn't you rather 'bother' your GP for five mins than face complications from leaving something????

LyraBelacqua Thu 09-Aug-07 22:42:18

Sounds like it might be laryngitis or something. Best to see the doc I think.

foxinsocks Thu 09-Aug-07 22:43:57

aah if it only took 5 minutes .

It's the 20 minutes hanging on hold for them to answer at 8.30 when they open the lines to make an appointment. Not getting through on the 1st day, so the next day hanging on for even longer.

Then sitting in the waiting room with puking kids for 40 mins.

Then a very harrassed doctor hardly even looking at me and then probably telling me it's a virus.

LyraBelacqua Thu 09-Aug-07 22:47:26

Sounds exactly like my surgery.

foxinsocks Thu 09-Aug-07 22:53:34

have looked up laryngitis on NHS direct (probably should have done that first, shouldn't I ) and it says if symptoms last longer than 2-3 weeks, go and see the doctor so I guess, it's 2 weeks at the start of next week so if it doesn't miraculously get better by tomorrow (it won't have done I don't think), I'll try and book an advance appointment for next week.

Thanks for all your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: