Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Conjuntivitus, can you get it on it's own without having a cold or anything ??

(10 Posts)
nutcracker Thu 09-Aug-07 22:32:26

I woke up this morning with my left eye glued shut with gunk. Washed it with warm water and finally got it open but it was very red and sore.

It has carried on being sore and itchy all day, but no more gunk. My right eye is slightly sore but not red or anything else.

I haven't had a cold or anything, so is it conjunctivitus or something else, and if so what ?

ChipButty Thu 09-Aug-07 22:34:47

Sounds like conjunctivitis - it's v infectious. Poor you.

LaylaandSethsmum Thu 09-Aug-07 22:36:44

Probably is conjuntivitis, doesn't need to come with a cold or anything. It will clear up on its own or your GP can give you some drops ( if you pay for prescriptions its cheaper to by some Optrex chloramphenicol !)

nutcracker Thu 09-Aug-07 22:37:34

Oh no, am supposed to be going to my cousins dd's first birthday party on sat afternoon, can i still go or not ??

nutcracker Thu 09-Aug-07 23:06:43

bump

pinkteddy Thu 09-Aug-07 23:16:07

If you start using the drops first thing tomorrow, it will probably have cleared by Saturday afternoon (although not gone). Kids pass it on to each other easily as they rub their eyes and then hold hands and sit close together, also crying etc. You will be less likely to pass it on if you use your own towels, wash hands regularly etc. You need to carry on using the drops for a good few days after it seems to have cleared otherwise it will come back. dd has had a few episodes of conjunctivitis and GP said last time that if drops don't get rid within 48 hours they are probably not going to so you will need to go to back and get stronger stuff. HTH

nutcracker Fri 10-Aug-07 07:45:54

Have got up this morning and my eye is fine, not sore, red or gunky at all.........am confused.

Leati Fri 10-Aug-07 08:12:29

nutcracker,

Conjuntivitus is very contagious and doesn not always come with a cold.

Try this website, it goes through the symptoms, treatment, and when to call a doc.

www.mayoclinic.com/health/pink-eye/DS00258/DSECTION=1

nutcracker Fri 10-Aug-07 08:13:33

But it seems to have gone completly now.

Perhaps I ha scratched my eye, have done that before and it as gne red and weepy.

Leati Fri 10-Aug-07 08:13:57

It could just be irritation too. Sometimes if you are out on a windy day or have allergies it can manifest itself the same way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: