Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you an underactive thyroid? What are your symptoms?

(17 Posts)
Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 21:59:06

Message withdrawn

FrayedKnot Thu 09-Aug-07 22:01:22

Tiredness

Mindnumbing, boneaching, dragging yourself around in a complete fog of exhaustion kind of tiredness.

Oh and a bit of dry skin.

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 22:02:42

Message withdrawn

BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 22:05:52

Tiredness, constipation, being slow at everything, being very easily depressed, feeling that you're useless, excessive weight.

Sunshinemummy Thu 09-Aug-07 22:08:20

Just been tested for this and came up negative. But went to drs complaining of extreme tiredness, trouble losing baby weight. Other main symptoms are dry skin, constipation, failure to conceive, depression.

BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 22:09:49

dp had severely underactive thyroid and his arm muscles would seize up when brushing his teeth ... same thing for his legs when climbing up the stairs. Before his illness, he was very active.

FrayedKnot Thu 09-Aug-07 22:23:39

My thyroid went downhill really fast after i had DS (was hypothyroid for several years before but only borderline, really).

I didn;t realise for ages what was happening, kept blaming sleepless nights etc when he was tiny, and he didn;t sleep through for a year anyway, but looking back it was obvious

The tiredness means you can;t wake up in the morning, you feel like you are dragging yourslef around. Then when you sit down anywhere anytime you feel like you are going to fall asleep and it's a massive fight not to just curl up and drift off.

By 8pm you feel ready to go to bed.

The thought of doing anything vaguely active terrifies you - exercise, going out in the evening, etc, because you know you will feel even worse afterwards

Everything is a massive effort. Going up stairs, standing for any length of time, pushing a pushchair, etc

You feel depressed because your life feels crap, you have no energy.

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 22:33:04

Message withdrawn

Olihan Thu 09-Aug-07 22:37:29

Mine started when dd was 4 months old and I had all the classic symptoms of PND - tiredness, irritability, no motivation, couldn't cope with the simplest thing, crying a lot but also very dry skin and feeling cold a lot. I also piled on weight, as in a stone in about 2 weeks.

It's worth askng your gp for a blood test because the treatment is simple and if it's not your thyroid you can look at other things.

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 22:49:46

Message withdrawn

Olihan Thu 09-Aug-07 23:04:09

More a need to comfort eat, which is my standard reaction to feeling miserable but the weight gain was unusual. How old is your ds now?

Pruners Thu 09-Aug-07 23:05:12

Message withdrawn

bubblepop Thu 09-Aug-07 23:09:11

hi pruners. symptoms are weight gain, heavy periods, dry skin, palpatations,neck goitre,forgetfullness,tiredness,hand tremor.also read on dr mary shannons web site low milk supply for new mums(my consultant said this was'nt true)

bubblepop Thu 09-Aug-07 23:10:02

ooh yes and i can't stop eating

Olihan Thu 09-Aug-07 23:15:21

Creeping up slowly is fairly normal I think, especially when you have small children around .

My levels seemed to plummet quite suddenly, I don't know if that's normal for pg induced hypothyroidism although the GP thought it must have been dropping for a long time as it was so low. Personally, I felt okay for the first couple of months after she was born, then went downhill quite rapidly so I'm not sure.

I have no idea if the levels drop and then stay at one level or if they would continue dropping if you didn't get replacement thyroxine though.

mrsmootoo Fri 10-Aug-07 11:22:14

I had three unexplained miscarriages and then my GP tested my thyroid and it was underactive. In fact I didn't have any of the symptoms (or rather they are so vague that I thought all mothers of small children were tired, overweight and slightly depressed!) As it turned out I was fairly mildly underactive and now take 125mg of thyroxine a day. I don't feel much different, but got pregnant successfully about 6 months later and lost the baby weight quite easily after birth. There is a link between pregnancy and underactive thyroid - pregnancies cause it and then it causes miscarriage o I was just making it worse and worse unknowingly.

Pruners Fri 10-Aug-07 11:24:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now