Talk

Advanced search

Rotator Cuff Repair - Surgical

(3 Posts)
SunshinePaddles Fri 13-Sep-19 17:05:40

Just wondering if any one can share their rotator cuff surgical repair experiences with me?

Conservative treatment options don't appear to be working so looks like I am headed down the surgical route.

What was your recovery period like?
How long was your recovery period?
Can you do the things you use to do before the injury/surgery?

OP’s posts: |
AdaColeman Fri 13-Sep-19 21:00:28

Hello,
I had a surgical rotator cuff repair about six years ago, it was keyhole surgery so no scar at all.
I'd had a frequently dislocating shoulder that was increasingly deteriorating, to the extent that I could often relocate it myself.

I had an overnight stay in hospital, as I live alone, I was quite worried about how I would manage at home on my own. I was quite firmly strapped up at first, with much less movement & ability than I'd expected.
I immediately realised that I wouldn't be able to cook even the simple things I'd planned, but a rapid Ocado order of microwaveable & picnic food sorted that out.

I had the two small stitches taken out about a week later, the strapping reduced, and started physio sessions too. I followed the daily plan of exercises religiously, for about twelve weeks in all, with intermittent visits to the physiotherapist for more adventurous moves! wink
It was uncomfortable at first, though I didn't take any painkillers. After about six weeks there was a very noticeable improvement, and I started getting back to doing normal things.

In the years since then, I haven't had any pain, or dislocations, though I think I'm probably still cautious in using it, I would never go to "Go Ape"!! grin

I hope all goes well for you and that you have a swift recovery.

SunshinePaddles Sat 14-Sep-19 01:54:49

@AdaColeman

Thank you for your story. It's quite comforting to hear when all I hear are the horror stories.

I'm not concerned about the surgery itself as I trust my ortho and his advice. I knew when I did the injury that I was likely to end up with this surgery if the conservative approach didn't work.

What I am concerned about is whether I will have full function again and be able to do the strenuous activities I did before the injury. I guess the only real way to know that is time though.

I am so glad to hear that you have had a good outcome.

Thanks again.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in