Talk

Advanced search

Any physios about? Badly twisted knee after arthroscopy

(6 Posts)
CherryMaple Fri 13-Sep-19 10:50:58

I had an arthroscopy at the end of April after a bad meniscal tear. I had been unable to weight bear for 4 months before the op. I’ve just now twisted my knee really badly - awful graunching sensation, and it very nearly gave way. I am so worried that I’ve really damaged it again. I can weight bear but the joint feels terrible. When I had the bad meniscal tear in January, this was how it started (but I kept walking on it as normal then). I’m lying on the sofa elevating it with ice. I’ve taken ibuprofen. What else should I do? Should I see a Physio? Help! I feel really worried about it. Thank you so much x

overnightangel Fri 13-Sep-19 11:05:42

Hi @CherryMaple
I’m not a physio but I’ve had similar issues in the past. Did they repaired the meniscus tear or remove it partially? Was it lateral (outer) or medial (inner) meniscus? If the knee is prone to giving way in my own experience this was because I’d subsequently torn the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) which is what effectively stabilises the knee joint. If you can I’d go to A&E and they’ll do all the relevant tests and scans/xrays there , sounds more like ligament than cartilage/meniscus damage, the meniscus is a buffer between the bones to stop them grinding while the ligaments stabilise the knee . Hope this helps and hope you’re feeling better soon

CherryMaple Fri 13-Sep-19 11:46:48

@overnightangel Thank you so much for your reply. The previous tear was too bad to repair so it was partially removed. I don’t know if it was lateral or medial. I also have considerable degenerative changes in my knee although I’m only in my early 40s. The surgeon said he hadn’t expected the arthroscopy to be successful because my knee was so bad. Totally gutted that I’ve hurt it again. I always worry about wasting the doctors’ time in A&E, but I think you’re right that I should go. Thanks again - really appreciate the advice x

overnightangel Fri 13-Sep-19 22:36:44

Hi @CherryMaple sorry for late reply, did you manage to get to see anyone in A&E? Did they do the ligament stability tests? Hope you’re ok please keep us updated

CherryMaple Sat 14-Sep-19 12:23:35

Hi @overnightangel. Thanks so much for thinking of me. I went to A&E. They did X Rays which showed nothing broken - but I think we knew this... I am seeing the orthopaedic consultant on Thursday - when I’m hoping I will get the ligament stability tests and some sort of scan to look at soft tissue damage. I am staying on crutches, rest, elevate, ice til then. Thanks again

SwedishEdith Sat 14-Sep-19 13:14:55

I'd pay to see a physio if you can - too long to wait on NHS, unfortunately. I had/have similar knee issues and x-rays don't really show anything. I only had one session (about £30/40) but she showed me lots of strengthening exercises to try to keep the joint stable. Was well worth it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »