Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

infant Gaviscon

(10 Posts)
BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 16:32:38

My 7 week old dd had just one dose this morning and ... OMG ! After literally screaming all day for weeks she's been peacefully asleep since 11am (well, in between feeds and bath )! Before counting my chickens, I'm wondering about the sedative aspect of gaviscon. Does it make babies sleepy ?

BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 18:07:36

anyone ?

Nemo2007 Thu 09-Aug-07 18:09:13

didnt make mine sleepy but did provide relief from the reflux meaning they could sleep and settle more. She is probably just trying to catch up

Tipex Thu 09-Aug-07 18:17:32

how much do you give`at this`age can I ask?

BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 18:39:53

That's what I'm hoping nemo.
Tipex - she weighs over 4.5kg so she can take 2 doses up to 6 times a day. But we'll try just 2 in the morning and another 2 in the evening and see how she gets on.

Nemo2007 Thu 09-Aug-07 20:30:42

DD1 and DD2 both had a sachet in every feed until they were on 7oz bottles then it was 2 sachets a feed. Although didnt work for DD1 and she ended up on enfamil AR formula. Works for dd2 although she is now 7mths and still sicky sometimes

dandycandyjellybean Thu 09-Aug-07 21:08:06

don't think there are any sedative properties, but just imagine being able to sleep peacefully after weeks of agonising stomach ache!!! my ds needed this too, and i'm only sorry i didn't take him to the docs sooner. he was fine after this and moving him to hungry baby formula, and since he's been weaned he's been absolutely fine. so here's hoping for you!

Quincywincy Thu 09-Aug-07 21:11:24

No sedative- glad you are getting a break from it. try not to use too much. It's effects can lessen as time goes on we found- but it was marvellous stuff.

itwasntme Thu 09-Aug-07 21:12:52

No it's just sheer relief from the pain.

When dd started taking it she transformed instantly from a baby that screamed all day to a baby that smiled all day.

She was no sleepier than normal

Wonderful stuff.

BirthdayBabe Thu 09-Aug-07 21:34:36

Thanks girls. I also wish I had taken her to the GP sooner - even if I actually found out what was wrong on MN! - I feel so guilty now for being so angry at her for screaming all day .
Can I just ask for how long she should take it? I forgot to ask the GP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now