Talk

Advanced search

MRI and mirena coil

(10 Posts)
ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal Tue 10-Sep-19 22:54:33

Hi all,

I've got an MRI booked next week to check my lower back and surrounding area, and I've just remembered I have a mirena coil. Pretty sure this doesn't contain metal, but am I wrong? Do I need to worry or call the MRI people tomorrow? Will I explode?? (Lighthearted(ish)).

Really sorry if this is a daft question blush

OP’s posts: |
kellyw1989 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:36:12

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t but I’d mention it

scaevola Wed 11-Sep-19 07:46:56

Ring the MRI reception as soon as it opens, to find out their orotical. IUDs need to be declared, and some types are unsafe (depending on what metal is in it). Mirena however is held to be safe, but you need to declare it

No IUDs won't explode! But yes, anything metal might get dragged by the strong magnetism.

ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal Wed 11-Sep-19 09:54:56

Thanks both,

I have images of my womb being dragged up to the top of the scanner with me attached, dangling like a puppet grin

I'll call them now!

mononokeswolf Wed 11-Sep-19 09:58:12

It's made of plastic according to mittens website https://www.mirena-us.com/q-and-a/

mononokeswolf Wed 11-Sep-19 09:58:32

Mittens = mirena!

CandyLeBonBon Wed 11-Sep-19 09:59:46

I recently had a MRI and have a mirena coil and it was fine. I actually forgot to mention it! blush

slipperywhensparticus Wed 11-Sep-19 10:00:39

Oooh ive my legs crossed imagining this

Call them up it should be on your notes but just in case give them a bell

ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal Wed 11-Sep-19 10:03:54

Mittens grin

ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal Wed 11-Sep-19 10:07:54

Just called them and apparently the consultant radiographer said it was absolutely fine. Phew!

Thanks all for your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »