Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My son's got...

(4 Posts)
Wuxiapian Thu 09-Aug-07 09:10:34

.. an ingrowing toenail.

It's his first one and is very swollen and sore to touch.

Visited the Dr yesterday, was told he'd refer him to a Chiropodist.

Does anyone have any idea how long it could take to get an appointment on the NHS or should I go private?

Many thanks for any responses.

christywhisty Thu 09-Aug-07 10:01:51

If I have an occasional ingrowing toenail I buy magnesium sulphate. It is a white paste, that draws out the pus and the swelling will go down and allow the nail to grow out.Also worked on my son

Just put some on cottonwool and strap to the toe and change regularly

I have always tried this first and it works. However if it recurs frequently then I would see a chiropodist.

HectorsHouse Thu 09-Aug-07 10:07:41

it cost me £35 to have an ingrowing toenail removed at our chiropodist (London)

Wuxiapian Thu 09-Aug-07 10:18:54

I've just rang a couple chiropodists. One told me I was looking at £190 if he needed toenail removal! Jeez!

Thank you, christy. I shall enquire at the magnesium sulphate at the chemist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now