Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this a side-effect of Mirena coil? (sorry if TMI)

(9 Posts)
Clary Wed 08-Aug-07 21:46:39

Well not really that bad but every so often I get incredibly painful boobs.

Have not plotted it in cycle but feel it may be at a certain point in it. Mirena was fitted about six months ago and after a lot of bleeding at first periods are much much lighter.

But the boobs thing - am bravissimo girl and I don't think they are any bigger (bras stil fit) but when I take bra off at night I can hardly bear to walk, they feel so heavy and achy. Is this normal? Will it pass? Anyone any thoughts?

rantinghousewife Wed 08-Aug-07 21:49:27

Yes, get really tender norks every 5 weeks or so, so am guessing that it's something to do with my natural cycle.

lucykate Wed 08-Aug-07 21:50:07

i get this. with the mirena, it stops the bleeding but you still do get all/some of the other symptoms. i get sore, heavy boobs, middle of the month (ovulation time), then again when i would be due on, but it doesn't happen every month, only occasionally, say once every three months.

rantinghousewife Wed 08-Aug-07 21:50:51

Don't think it passes, have been on it for 4 1/2 years, not sure if it's listed as a side effect.

Clary Wed 08-Aug-07 21:52:45

Thanks RH and LK. I never used to get achy boobs with my old coil or pre-coil. Is it a hormonal thing? (this is first hormone based contraception for about 10 years <worry>)

weebleswobble Wed 08-Aug-07 21:54:40

I had this for about 4 months about a year after having Mirena fitted but not since.

I've had it in 4 years but it's not behaving now and having light periods every 2-3 weeks instead of 8 weeks.

But having read the other Mirena thread I might give it a bit longer...being a big yellow bellied coward.

rantinghousewife Wed 08-Aug-07 21:54:44

I've put it down to the hormone in it, although my doc insists that the hormone in it is so small that I'm 'imagining' it. Bless!!

Clary Wed 08-Aug-07 22:13:14

Thanks all, yes weebles I read that other thread too.

Maybe I'll let it ride for a bit longer....(sigh)

Clary Thu 09-Aug-07 09:45:56

bumping for any daytime expertise

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now