Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tying a mole with cotton - anyone tried it?

(11 Posts)
lucylala Wed 08-Aug-07 16:03:40

I've got 2 sort of mole/skin tags under my arm that really bug me. I know doctor can whip them off for me but I feel a bit vain asking him to so thought I might have a go at tying cotton round them.

Anyone tried this? Does it work? How long do you leave cotton on for? What do you do in shower? What happens exactly?

Just wondering...

Thanks

Biglips Wed 08-Aug-07 16:04:13

ouch!!!!

Iklboo Wed 08-Aug-07 16:05:04

Don't do it with a mole!!!

womba1 Wed 08-Aug-07 16:06:23

I haven't any experience of this but PLEASE don't do it to a mole!!!

suzywong Wed 08-Aug-07 16:08:16

don't you tie one end to the door handle and then slam it?

PrettyCandles Wed 08-Aug-07 16:10:35

I've done this several times on skin tags. But, first of all, don't do this on coloured skin tags. Those need to be seen by a professional.

What I do is make a little slipknot in a piece of cotton or silk thread, slip it over the end of pointed tweezers, then hold the tag in the tweezers, stretching it slightly away from my body. Sometimes I need another pair of hands for this. Then I slide the loop to the bottom of the tag, as close to my body as possible and tighten it. Do it quickly, because it stings/hurts. Tighten it as much as you can bear, then doubleknot. Trim off the ends of the thread to 1-2cm. Then forget about it. Don't worry about showering, swimming, etc.

At first it will look red and inflamed, then in a few days time it will shrivel and go black, then go hard and scabby and drop off, together withthe thread. Should leave nothing, just smooth skin, not even a scar (unless, perhaps, if you have dark skin). If the thread comes off, quickly tie on a fresh one. Otherwise only the top of the tag will fall off, leaving you with a little stump, and you will have to wait for it to regrow big enough to be tied off again. Tags that come off cleanly do not grow back IME.

HTH

But please, don't do any self-treatment on coloured skintage.

harman Wed 08-Aug-07 16:11:33

Message withdrawn

kittylouise Wed 08-Aug-07 16:12:03

I am ROARING at the thought of someone tying a bit of string to a mole, and then to a door handle and slamming the door!!!

Just sat here giggling at work whilst mumsnetting.

MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:12:09

with a skin tag you tie a piece of cotton round tightly.
leave it for a few days- a kind of blood blister will form- then shrivel.

sounds horrible...but it works...and alot less embaressing than asking the doctor in my case- mine was in a slightly less public place...say no more...and the thought of a nyone removing it was mortifying!

but agree...NOT for mole...only skin tag.

PrettyCandles Wed 08-Aug-07 16:15:42

No, Suzy, that's teeth!

I'm remembering the amateur arse doctor thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now