Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is the best treatment for cradle cap (that actually works)

(18 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Wed 08-Aug-07 14:59:19

DS2 is 16 months old and has quite a bit of hair on the top of his head so I am finding it difficult to get rid of.

So far have tried dentinox

jangly Wed 08-Aug-07 15:02:45

Plaster his scalp with baby oil when he goes to bed. In the morning it will have softened the cradle cap and you should be able to comb it away.

tasja Wed 08-Aug-07 15:03:59

Same as jangly. I did it for about 3 days before everything was gone.

mumto2nuttybells Wed 08-Aug-07 15:04:35

PETROLIUM JELLY

tassisssss Wed 08-Aug-07 15:05:42

I picked most of dds off while BFing her

ImBarryScott Wed 08-Aug-07 15:06:23

this sounds really gross, but I found nothing worked better than raking it up a bit with my fingernails before using dentinox shampoo. The shampoo on its own didn't cut it.

Sorry, I have turned my own stomach thinking about that.

ImBarryScott Wed 08-Aug-07 15:06:52

x post tassissssssssss
glad it's not just me!

NineUnlikelyTales Wed 08-Aug-07 15:08:33

Olive oil rubbed in and left on overnight, then shampoo out with a good rub the next morning, then comb out the bits.

The wait for your DS to grow out of it. Have you spoken to your HV/GP about it? Apparently if it is resistant to all treatment it might be more than just normal cradle cap and might need antibiotics or an antifungal cream (I can't remember which, sorry, but this is what the HV told me when DS had it)

tassisssss Wed 08-Aug-07 15:10:18

imBarry - phew! i did hesitate to post as i wasn't sure what people would think, but it worked for us and dd didn't mind at all!

thehairybabysmum Wed 08-Aug-07 15:21:29

Had this problem with hairybaby...i found the olive oil, treatment oil type things no use due to said mop of hair...pain in the arse to wash out the next morning if your DS has lots of hair and thought he was about 15 years too young for the greasy look!!

I found the best way is to comb his scalp once or twice a week...shampoo hair then i just used a baby comb quite firmly on scalp where cradle cap bits were. Takes a few weeks but defo seemed to help.

The advantage of long hair is that you dont always notice the cradle cap, especially once it does start to decrease...My DS is now 20 months and i couldnt tell you if he still has it or not!

MrsPuddleduck Wed 08-Aug-07 15:39:09

I have been resisting the urge to pick it out for months as I thought it was the "wrong" thing to do. Plus it is gross.

binklehasflipped Wed 08-Aug-07 15:41:22

olive oil

NineUnlikelyTales Wed 08-Aug-07 15:47:12

Picking can cause infection, which has got to be worse than cradle cap which is just unsightly.

MummyDarlingSausage Wed 08-Aug-07 19:31:53

We tried everything on our dd (4) when she was a baby but it was so bad (looked like she was wearing a yellow hat!) the doctor prescribed a steroid cream for it (which we didn't use) The only thing that got rid of it was when my dh picked it off. My ds recently got it and my dh picked it before it got bad.

pinkmagic1 Wed 08-Aug-07 19:36:49

Coconut oil is very good. Rub into the scalp and leave overnight. In the morning wash the hair and brush. Like others have said you can use olive oil in the same way but I found the cocont oil a bit better.

LilianGish Wed 08-Aug-07 19:37:55

Almond oil.

moodlesoup Wed 08-Aug-07 20:04:34

hiya, i used a medicated shampoo but then realised that i had never actually combed DD's hair ! she ws 10months old! i just never thought about it.
after the penny dropped, i combed it and all the cradle cap started coming out immediately. how pikey is that! i'm sure you're not as bad as me, but just in case you haven't ever combed....

wulfricsmummy Wed 08-Aug-07 20:40:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now