Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cranial osteopathy - is it any good for colic? Your stories, please.

(12 Posts)
Kyte Wed 08-Aug-07 12:41:36

My LO has colic and a few people have suggested cranial osteopathy as a solution. Has anyone here tired it? Did it help? How many treatments were needed etc?

Fauve Wed 08-Aug-07 12:44:31

Yes, both my kids had cranial osteo, and yes it did help. Not many treatments were needed, can't remember how many. It's alovely gentle treatment, I highly recommend it. There are loads of old threads on this if you want to search, but I bet there will be lots of people saying positive things again now, too.

littlelapin Wed 08-Aug-07 12:45:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

witchandchips Wed 08-Aug-07 12:48:40

may work may not (imo its all placebo but whats wrong with that). At the very least it calms them down when they have it and gives you a break. If you can afford it go for it.

mistlethrush Wed 08-Aug-07 12:49:50

Yes, ds had it really badly (started at 3days on 1st session, at worst he started screaming at around 7pm and didn't stop until 4 or 5am). We found colief helped. However, when we went to cranial osteopath, 3 treatments and it stopped - immediately, no lessening or easing over week or so - just stopped.

If I have another I will definitely get them treated, even if there is no discernable problem. Very gentle treatment.

Ds has been subsequently with congestion problems that it has also helped with (aged 1.5) - went to one session and he fell asleep in the car on the way, carried him up asleep, treatment all carried out when he was asleep, woke up just as we were leaving.

insywinsyspider Wed 08-Aug-07 15:27:05

I took ds too a chiropractor for cranical massage - think its very much the same as osteopathy for babies the only reason I went to chiropractor was she was recommended by a close friend, really helped him become much more setted, I found he got colicky and unsettled after his first immunisations too so took him back for another session, we've had about 6 in total he's 14 mo now - even if its all placebo, part of my motivation to go was at least I was trying to do something to help, I'd recommend it

I was told at my antenatal classes to consider cranial osteopathy if you have assisted delivery - ventous, forceps etc, didn't have this but have met mums who've taken their lo after such births HTH

Oblomov Wed 08-Aug-07 15:39:04

Highly reommended. Noticed a difference after one session. Only needed 3 sessions.

Kyte Thu 09-Aug-07 09:31:26

Thanks everyone. We did have a nightmare delivery for DS - 4 hours pushing at home, whizzed into hospital, failed ventouse and then wrigley's forceps...

We're taking him to the osteopath today, so we'll see how it goes.

mistlethrush Thu 09-Aug-07 10:03:20

Can beat that - 34 hours inc drip to help dillation, failed epidural after 5hrs on drip with no additional pain relief (that got me to 2.5cm with an anticipated 9hrs before time to push) - gas & air for 3hrs as only pain relief (crap) spinal block, epidural, pushing at 9am - not appearing - theatre for forceps trial 11.45 - got one forcep on, so much room clearly had been pushing right but still not moved, so emergency section. This was 27 hrs after waters broke and 34 after contractions started properly...

One week early, 10lbs 5oz.... (which I think is probably a good deal of reason why he got stuck)

But cranial osteopathy great, hope you get on OK.

fishie Thu 09-Aug-07 10:08:01

didn't work for me (him) but worth a go, i'd really have regretted not trying!

GhostWriter Thu 09-Aug-07 10:14:27

Had a difficult 24hr labour, dd stuck in birth canal for 6hrs, 3 failed ventouse attempts and an emergency cs. DD has been a problematic feeder- very slow to feed, didn't sleep for more than an hour at a time and couldn't move her head to the right.

After one session she could move her head to the right freely, latch on and stay on for half an hour and slept through 10hrs a night for 4 days straight. We're having more sessions as she slowly gets worse after the sessions, sleeps less, fusses etc but is improving dramatically nonetheless. Apparently a couple more sessions and she shouldn't be reverting back to her old behaviour afterwards. I too thought it was placebo but the change has been so dramatic that I suspect there is definitely something in it!

Kyte Mon 13-Aug-07 17:30:35

Thanks for all the advice. DS cried throughout the first appointment and hasn't shown any improvement but I'm willing to do another couple of sessions and see if anything changes.

BTW - I wasn't trying to start a competition on who had the worst birth story, just explaining why CO seemed to make sense to me....I know some of you mamas have had a much harder time than me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now