Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do you have to pay for transplant mediciation?

(14 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 07-Aug-07 23:52:51

post op of course.

i have a sinking feeling that once we start work again, we will have to pay for dh life saving drugs.

where can i find out?

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 07-Aug-07 23:55:42

erm.......no idea......

Has he had the call and I have missed it??????????/

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 07-Aug-07 23:56:12

no he hasnt, but i am busy sorting out stuff now

still got another week and half on urgent.

oops Tue 07-Aug-07 23:56:55

Message withdrawn

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 07-Aug-07 23:57:41

theres a pre-paid perscription optin isnt there? annual payments?

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 07-Aug-07 23:57:49

fingers crossed........

IdrisTheDragon Tue 07-Aug-07 23:58:52

There's pre-payment certificates for 4 months, 6 months and a year (or something like that). DH has one for the smallest a=length of time and pays about £35 for as many presciptions as he needs.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 07-Aug-07 23:59:42

i think we should go for the year one

IdrisTheDragon Wed 08-Aug-07 00:01:01

Had it wrong .

here's a page about it.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 08-Aug-07 00:02:10

Have found things about getting them free as well - am skimming through a pdf document.

coleyboy Wed 08-Aug-07 11:17:34

Hi LVOC, hope you are all well.

DS has had a transplant (well 2 actually, and may be going for the hat-trick ) and we have been told that we will have to pay prescription charge once he comes of age, but you can get the one off yearly charge which makes things a lot cheaper.

Also, once Peter has had his transplant and is well on the road to recovery, it is worthwhile finding out what medecines he will be on. Then speaking to your local pharmacist (before he comes out of hospital) about how long it takes for the medecines to come in once ordered. Times can vary dramatically, from one day to a week. I done this before ds was discharged as I really worried about getting hold of his immunosuppressants in an emergency, as you can't stock up on them because of the short shelf life.

Good luck, and thinking of you all xx

noddyholder Wed 08-Aug-07 11:21:34

You will need a pre pay certificate.It is about £100 per yr.I get free prescriptions at the moment as I have another qualifying condition that exempts me.Whilst on low income you will also qualify.He will probably not be on as many medications as you would expect after the initial period HTH

LadyVictoriaOfCake Wed 08-Aug-07 18:08:35

thanks noddy. he is currently on thyroxine so if that carries on he will get them free is that right?

the underactive thyroid is apparently becuase of one of his other medications so am hoping it returns to normal afterwards.

noddyholder Wed 08-Aug-07 18:13:27

If he has any sort of replacement therapy like thyroxine hw will get them free I have steroid induced addisons so get mine free too.Although like you say better to pay and be well Hope he gets the call soon.How is he doing?I think he is in the best place for this period as it is too hard on you otherwise and secretly most patients feel safer (I know I did) even though we all complain and want to go home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now