Advanced search

Could anyone recommend thyroid specialist.. Herts/Bucks/ Beds area

(7 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Mon 02-Sep-19 23:48:16

I want to see someone privately, as heard others had amazing results doing this but the people they see are too far for me to travel.
I've been on thyroxine for 15 yrs and don't feel it's really doing much, just takes the edge off. Last thyroid test a few weeks ago came back as 'not great but ok ish' (to quote) but my doctor doesn't want to up my thyroxine amount.
I can drive so looking for area of Herts/Bucks /Beds (possibly Northamptonshire depending what side). I'm H/B/B border. Would rather not get train into London as it would massively add to the cost and I'm having to save up for this as it is.
Has anyone seen anyone with good results?
I'm hoping to be prescribed/pay privately a different type of thyroxine not available on NHS

OP’s posts: |
NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Sep-19 13:04:41

Change doctors and ask if you could work with them to get a good balance of thyroid hormones.

Do you know your result?

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 03-Sep-19 13:08:06

Also ask the new Gp if you could rule out any other deficiencies which might be causing similar symptoms.

If these are maximised alomg with thyroxine, and left to stabilise for over 3 months, you may find a significant change in energy. If not then perhaps explore private but to be honest you really shouldn't need to.

Jesaminecollins Tue 03-Sep-19 16:50:18

Join Healthunlocked Thyroid - They have a list of recommended private doctors.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 05-Sep-19 00:40:28

thanks for the replies. I will go back to GP but still feel it's worth seeing someone privately as I've been on regular thyroxine long enough.
The biggest problem is not being able to shift weight, and freezing hands and feet, poor circulation/ metabolism.
Thanks Jesamine - I will go down that route

OP’s posts: |
fergusthefrog Thu 05-Sep-19 00:58:42

There's a BMI hospital in Bedford - google and look for private endocrinologists that practise there. Think it's called the manor hospital. You could give them a ring otherwise and ask who they have there and then you can google the suggested consultants and see which one you like the best. There will be private endocrinologists all over herts and bucks I'm just not as familiar with the areas! BMI three shires in Northampton is another one for you to check out but might be a bit far.

Answerthequestion Thu 05-Sep-19 23:14:08

Friend swears by this guy. He has sorted out some really complicated thyroid complications.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »