Advanced search

Can anyone please suggest a way to waterproof my privates during swimming?

(25 Posts)
stirling Sat 31-Aug-19 08:09:08

Sorry its a really weird question but health related ! Also going to try posting in exercise.

I have a very severe bladder problem and am dealing with a number of conditions: intersticial cystitis, trigonitis, fowlers syndrome, current stubborn infection, pelvic organ prolapse....

I used to go to the gym but now struggle with most forms of exercise. I really want to swim as it'll support my organs that have prolapsed. But can't afford to risk the chlorine water touching my vagina. It can be a trigger, and indeed I tried it in a uv treated pool (they still use small amounts of chlorine) but had a huge flare afterwards.

So far I've tried buying latex knickers, putting my period leak proof knickers on top of that and some pads. Then swimming costume on top. All soaked right through and horrible flare afterwards.

Does anyone have any suggestions as it felt wonderful to be in the water.
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
TurtleyLost Sat 31-Aug-19 08:10:48

Find a salt water pool instead?

TurtleyLost Sat 31-Aug-19 08:11:20

Or some sort of barrier cream?

Fatted Sat 31-Aug-19 08:13:31

Personally I just wouldn't bother. But I detest swimming at the best of times.

Ounce Sat 31-Aug-19 08:14:06

Swim in the sea?

ButEmilylovedhim Sat 31-Aug-19 08:14:29

Could you coat the area in a very thick layer of Sudocrem? That stuff is hard to wash off so might do the trick. I hope you find a solution and that things improve for you. That all sounds really tough.

FlossieTeacakesFurCoat18 Sat 31-Aug-19 08:15:17

Maybe sudocrem or lanolin as a barrier?

moofolk Sat 31-Aug-19 08:16:32

Wild swimming may be better, and it's so much more of a treat than pool swimming anyway.

Find a good pond, river or lake nearby.

Babdoc Sat 31-Aug-19 08:17:02

Are wetsuits waterproof? I don’t know, never having worn one, but maybe a surfer on here could tell you. If they are - problem solved!

LittleLongDog Sat 31-Aug-19 08:20:01

Omg I totally understand. A little bob in some water helps my endometriosis pain so much.

I have my fingers crossed that you’re able to get to a salt water pool or to the sea.

Frouby Sat 31-Aug-19 08:24:23

Wetsuits aren't waterproof, they trap water between the suit and the skin to create a layer of warmer water so you don't feel the cold as much.

They do dry suits for watersports, but I don't think they would be practical for swimming in.

Maybe some kind of incontinence pant? Then swim costume over the top? But I would worry that all those layers and exercise would cause more issues.

Open water swimming is probably your best bet, it's becoming more popular so you should be able to find somewhere.

RainOrSun Sat 31-Aug-19 08:24:26

You get wet in a wetsuit.
You would stay dry in a dry suit, but you might get very warm, and mobility isnt great.

How, err, low, does the protection need to be? A menstrul cup (can be worn at any time) would limit water internally, but might not extend protection far enough, and may irritate you in itself.

Salt water pools and wild swimming are good suggestions.

TurtleyLost Sat 31-Aug-19 08:25:08

Wet suits are not waterproof - they are designed to trap a layer of water next to your skin!

Branleuse Sat 31-Aug-19 08:27:09

Are there any pelvic floor friendly exercises classes?
My gp referrred me to gynae over pf issues and she referred me to a modified exercise class. First pilates, then a modified circuit class, with emphasis on strengtening the pf. Also along with the NHS app "squeezy" its been very helpful

flapjackfairy Sat 31-Aug-19 08:27:49

You can get swimsuits that are designed for incontinence users. They have an inner liner that holds all the wee in so the pool stays clean so they must keep all the water out as well.

user444444 Sat 31-Aug-19 08:29:32

What about period swimwear?

wigglybeezer Sat 31-Aug-19 08:32:49

Thick layer of something like Vaseline or lanolin would be the only solution that would have a chance of working, you're never going to keep water out.

stirling Sat 31-Aug-19 08:36:26

Thank you everyone, some really good suggestions here.
I only plan to be in the water for 10-15 mins maximum, so might look into dry suit along with incontinence wear.

No salt water pool near me... I do live fairly close to a women's pond though...

OP’s posts: |
NorbertHerbertGruntfuttock Sat 31-Aug-19 08:37:42

What about one of those plastic clips from Lakeland? You might have to file the serrations off with an emery board but they come in a variety of colours and the metal hinges are quite strong. I use them to close the inner bag of my cornflakes and nothing would get past that bad boy.

Lweji Sat 31-Aug-19 08:45:45

I don't know if it helps but don't do the breaststroke at all.
Basically try to keep your legs as close together as possible, if you're not already doing it.

Wild idea: apply large tampon and soak with sterile saline? I think you can buy little vials.

yulet Sat 31-Aug-19 08:46:27

I can't get my head round this - how on earth does period or incontinence wear work? There's no way to seal off the area. It must get soaked!

wigglybeezer Sat 31-Aug-19 10:32:26

By the way, sympathy, I've had urethra and vulval problems recently, really miserable.
Topical estriol cream has sorted me out as mine turned out to be menopause related.
I hope you find something that helps.

QOD Sat 31-Aug-19 10:40:32

@NorbertHerbertGruntfuttock 🤣🥟

Minxmumma Sat 31-Aug-19 18:19:35

Would a liberal coating of vaseline help? Bit like north sea swimmers?
Also I know you can buy period proof swimwear, might be worth seeing how efficient they are at keeping things dry?

stirling Sat 31-Aug-19 18:56:36

Norbert that is hilarious smile
True might be worth using vaseline. Tried estrogen cream, doesn't really help sadly

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »